• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube recommendations anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys.
I am about to pull an old preamp out of mothballs and know that it needs work. It is a circa 1980 Theta tube preamp. I plan to take my time and restore it but don't have deep pockets so I am searching for reasonable costing tube choices.
The preamp requires 6 6DJ8s and I have been to thetubestore.com looking. In the cost effective (cheap) category are the JJ E88CC/6922, the Sino 6922/6N11, and the ElectroHarmonix 6922EH. Any of these seem viable? Is it critical to search out matched sets?
Also, I'm a noob at this so any personal notes or advice regarding this preamp or related procedures are welcome.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Definitely use the Russian 6Н23П-EB (6n23-ev) in the phono section, as it is low in both noise and microphonics. The EH 6922 is, in fact, 6Н23П-EB. Sonics are good, if unspectacular. The variant is also tough as nails. So, use 'em everywhere, should the Theta have a tube eating reputation, like stock AI preamps.

Recommending JJ E88CCs used to be safe. Unfortunately, JJ is having quality control problems with much of their production. If you can afford the expense, "reissue" GEC 6922s elsewhere for "tone" makes some sense.

As for matching, it depends on the circuitry employed. Can you post a schematic of the unit?

Thanks for the info Eli Duttman, I appreciate the insight. I will look at the cost of outfitting with your suggestions. The tube eating comment is not unexpected but I have little intelligent to say there. I bought this preamp new in the early 1980s at the recommendation from a manufacturer when I was in audio retailing. I used it for some time with a pair of bridged hafler 200s and for some reason both amps went up in flames so the whole system went into boxes and has not been handled with care since. My most recent look at it was a few years ago and I noted a few tubes broken and rattling around within so i removed them all. The big reason for the mass replacement, tomchr, is really just trying to chase away gremlins. With no more knowledge of what went wrong, I thought it better to spend a few bucks and remove the condition of the remaining tubes from the equation. Am I being paranoid?
ps I WISH I had a schematic for this unit... now that I can read one. I will try to generate one directly from what I see. It is a minimal layout. Thanks for the input!

well vinylkid, I didn't see anything that would have taken them down. used to build the hafler kits and they each had the bridging adapter. They were driving a pair of dahlquist dq-10s. Ran beautifully for a good while (months) before flaming out. Thing was, they both went at exactly the same time so I blamed the preamp. gonna find out now. this is kinda like an old murder mystery. i hope this preamp gets exonerated :)

hi guys... an update! finally got off my rear and dragged the preamp out of the attic and when i opened it, i realized the missing tube story was for my old heathkit preamp. the theta had all six tubes in place. they turned out to be Tungsram E88CC/6922, "made in hungary" is printed on their sides as well. i plugged it in by itself and they all lit up. after 30 years in a box! so i left it this way for several (10 maybe?) hours. the only thing i could think to do was to check for dc on the output and that was with a cheap radio shack meter. nothing found. i threw caution to the wind and put it into my system and it worked just fine! no noise of any kind. there is a gremlin though... if you tweak the volume control just right, it pops loudly thru the speakers. i listened to it at a moderate volume for about two hours and it did pop once about mid-session without my having touched it. so i have it back out on my counter for full cleanup. i guess i need to check it over for bad solder joints? great to have it available. any tips on cleanup are welcome. i have read the sticky about careful power up but i guess i'm past that. sorry for the miscue on which preamp i was rescuing. thanks for the help/responses about the tubes. i'll post pics if i can figure out how.

I have a Theta Preamp from the 1980s.

This preamp was very good. I retubed and fixed mine. I played it for years.
Best preamp on the market at the time. Phono section very good. Very mellow, tight clean easy to listen to.
I see that someone rebuilt one. The large capacitor in the capacitive multiplier must be replaced with the same one. Mouser and Allied electronics has them.
This preamp was plagued with buzzing and scratchy duncan slideline pot.
These were all caused by common mode ground problems where power supply
current traces and wires were in series with audio paths ground side.
I drew a schematic of the Theta years ago. I still do get it out and listen to it.
Anyone have any comments?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.