• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audioromy FU29 improvement and upgrades?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
829b in single ended is iffy, you have to have lots of those to choose which are colely matched, otherwise red plating can happen...

the 5894 with its single cathode construction is better for single ended, i have such an amp made using those 5894's

Attachments

• IMG_5405 (2).jpg
    IMG_5405 (2).jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_5401.jpg
    IMG_5401.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 246
sure, but i will have to download it first, in my head....:D
i have the amp with me now and the owner asks me to convert to push-pull using the same set of tubes, only the OPT will be replaced....will pm you once i have it...

edit: i found a sketch in my hard drive...

Attachments

• 278B2883.jpg
    278B2883.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 390
since he is now very happy with the 2a3 set i made for him,
i convinced him to make a push pull tube amp, so that he can swap amps once in a while...

the tubes will change roles, the 12at7 wll be used at LTP phase splitter and the 6CG7 as input voltage amp...

just a change in roles for the small tubes and a change in OPT, the new OPT will smaller..

Digging up this old thread as I have some info that relates to this amp. Just got one on my bench for repair- blows fuses on power up.

What rating is the input fuse?

This one had 2A. Inrush current was massive, yet all power supply components test fine and unit plays stable for hours after brought up slowly on a Variac & pulls just over 1A when operating. Reducing first filter cap from 270µF to 47µF in the plate supply greatly reduced inrush. Added a thermistor (CL 80) to knock down the 10+ percent dc voltages I’m measuring. The AC switch on this one was wired on the neutral side. Switched neutral (AKA earth, return or ground) wires are a hazard, so I rewired it, putting the switch after the fuse on the hot side.

There seems to be some variations in the schematic. To set bias and balance, I just measure Vdrop across the resistors in series with each plate lead. Mine came with 1.0 Ω sense R's, target for 25mA each section. Added 1 ohm 1/2W in series with the cathodes as a fuse resistor for safety.

Some very good info on this amp with the correct schematic, attached.

Analog Sauce: The Audioromy M828-A – Engineering Radio

Attachments

• audioromy m-828A new schem.jpg
    audioromy m-828A new schem.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
kstlfido funny you should post this, I just found the same site last night.
I've got a M8282A that is waiting for me to troubleshoot. It started with intermittent pop and crackles. Now the pre tubes are not lighting up.

So I'll check the tubes first, then the psu, starting with the filament supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.