• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audioromy FU29 improvement and upgrades?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well silence is golden... I have received the AR FU29 and run it up. This amp definitely sounds much better than any of the solid state gear I have, including a high end MOSFET power amp the manufacturer of which I will not name. The build quality of the AR FU29 seems quite high with metal film resistors and ceramic tube sockets. Just my impression on initial run up using a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C as input, but time will tell.

I have one of these i bought used for a cheap price. It has some issues, so I'm gutting it and rebuilding the power supply and circuit. I will rebuild so i can bias each section of the tube independently and will be adding bias pots and test points to the chassis so i can bias from outside the unit. Here is the circuit showing the changes i propose. Please let me know if you see any errors. Has anyone seen a schematic of the power supply online?

I read the attached and decided against using the lm317 regulator and I'm not crazy about the balance adjustment so that is why i have decided to go this route.

Here is the pdf discussing the lm317 bias regulator mod.

Attachments

• modded fu29 circuit.png
    modded fu29 circuit.png
    368.2 KB · Views: 476
  • BIAS_Adjustment_Audioromy_fu29_v2.pdf
    481.8 KB · Views: 223
  • LM317_BIAS_Regulator_on_AUDIOROMY.pdf
    268.9 KB · Views: 174
OK i have gutted the amp and plan on building the new circuit board with eyelets. The preamp tube socket will chassis mount nicely so thats a bonus and i will likely drill hole in the circuit board for accessing the tube connections. This may take a while, but i will post as i go and post the power supply schematic when I figure it out.

Attachments

• IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    328.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    364.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    350.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    318.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    247 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0226.JPG
    IMG_0226.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
i converted on such amp from fixed bias to cathode resistor bias and the amp still works till today...that was about 5 years or so ago..

with the 829b, red plating in one section is a problem with such tube types, you have to have several on hand, the 5894 otoh, being a single cathode construction is a better tube to use imho, i used the amperex 5894 tube in place of the 829b...

this amp surprisingly sounds very good...i see that the irons used were Z11, an M6 equivalent in our part of the world..

the one i repaired had a defective power switch and was red plating, the plate caps were crap nylon crimp type end terminators, there are better alternatives...

Hey Tony, I figured if i biased each section separately with its own bias pot it should make the amp a little more reliable in fixed bias.

yes, you have to put a 10 ohm resistor in series with each plate to monitor current...

but i think the biasing arrangement has both voltage and balance controls, the plate resistor monitoring will be most accurate..

Looks like a cool amp Tony!

I'm tempted to build the altec 345 in this amp. I built it before and really like it. It runs el34's and a 6au6 with 6c4's in the pre/PI. However it might be nice to build the original circuit too....

the irons are very decent in this amp....
try the 5894's they are very nice tubes and a drop in replacement to the 829b...

the OPT in this audioromy does not have ultralinear taps...
so if you go EL34, then you are constrained to go pentode mode...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.