• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Grid stoppers in class AB2 push-pull arrangenets?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

for obvious reasons a class AB2 output stage requires a very low inpedance driver to ensure low distortion despite of grid current flowing at some part of the signal cycle. But power tubes also require grid stopper resistors to prevent oscillations. How could we bring these requirements together? Would ferrite beads, soldered directly to the grid lugs of the sockets, instead of resistors, be a solution?

Hi,

for obvious reasons a class AB2 output stage requires a very low inpedance driver to ensure low distortion despite of grid current flowing at some part of the signal cycle. But power tubes also require grid stopper resistors to prevent oscillations. How could we bring these requirements together? Would ferrite beads, soldered directly to the grid lugs of the sockets, instead of resistors, be a solution?

I measured 50mA grid current peak driving a small transmitting tube into class A2. Even a a 100 ohm resistor would drop 5 volts. Something like this ferrite bead would stop RF oscillation while being transparent at audio frequencies.

Attachments

• mounted-bead.JPG
    mounted-bead.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 264
I have just made the leads really short, like mount a mosfet to drive the tube right next to the tube socket on the chassis. I drove triode-connected KT88s in AB2 like this with no oscillations (they are pretty high transconductance tubes, too). It's kind of cheesy to solder to a naked TO-220 package like that. I've found a really cheap PCB manufacturer and am going to have some small boards made to put a source follower driver right next to the grid of a 6L6-pinout tube. Grid stopper optional.

Ab2 grid drive

I had five Fisher 90-A monster amps

I was going to be a "Rock Star" and sold all I had

Veelley dumbsky kid!

These amps had,

four EL34s, two 5r4 rects, class AB2, massive transformers, and a sooper wild driver stage that was a 12ax7 to a 12au7, one pair of EL34s biased higher than the other pair, three different feedback paths, very good design

You can look at the schemo for a Fisher 500-C receiver etc. and some of the other companies back then designs for AB2 amps for guidance.

The circuit around the driver tube is very complex

I think Fisher was the god of AB2 design

The 90-A amps could tic out 120 watts peak, and huge bass

Always good to see what the masters did, if anything applies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.