Bias help Music Angel L$, EL84 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th March 2012, 08:05 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

The stock 6N3P's are surely Chinese. Try some Russian 6N3P-EV's, they're pretty cheap, even on ebay. Most say they are a sonic upgrade, although I don't have any exp. with these particular tubes.

jeff
Old 29th March 2012, 02:11 PM   #12
Edriz is offline Edriz  United States
diyAudio Member

Well I ordered some 6N3P-EV's from the tube store. Minimum order there is $10 so I had to order 8 of them. Guess Ill either keep em all or sell off 4 of them. Should be here soon. I hear that driver tubes make the biggest difference in SQ so we will see. Thank you Jeff.

I heard there is some modifications that can be done to this amp also. Maybe I'll look into that soon too.
Old 17th April 2012, 04:40 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I got the 6N3P-Ev's and they are ding the same as the 5670W's.ud humming. Id sure like to find a schematic, maybe get this modded so i can eliminate those 6n3 driver tubes.

Ive searched everywhere i can think of and can not find a schematic.
Old 18th April 2012, 01:25 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edriz View Post
I'd sure like to find a schematic, maybe get this modded so i can eliminate those 6n3 driver tubes.
The Mengyue Mini schem shows a 500R pot across the heater winding. Does your amp have this?

Eliminating the 6N3P's probably means rebuilding the amp P-P and throwing the PCB in the trash. I did see a Mini somewhere that had been rebuilt.

jeff
Old 27th April 2012, 05:54 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

well, I know why I was having so many isseues swapping the 6n3's. I found out this amp has 6N1's not the 6n#'s that was stated in the description. Now i know why the 5670W's didnt work out too good. I just ordered some EH 6922's for the driver replacements. I've been told that Id notice a bigger difference swapping driver tubes then I will swappin power tubes. Guess Ill find out soon enough.

What have others experienced, bigger difference in driver tubes vs. power tubes?
Old 27th April 2012, 09:34 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Well, the Mengyue schematic shows 6N2P tubes... :\
If you are absolutely sure your amp is supposed to use 6N1, buy russian 6N1P-EV tubes off ebay, they are excellent. The 6922/E88CC is NOT a direct substitute for 6N1P, even if most tube sellers say so! They are quite different tubes.
Old 28th April 2012, 10:37 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Pinout difference??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edriz View Post
well, I know why I was having so many isseues swapping the 6n3's. I found out this amp has 6N1's not the 6n#'s that was stated in the description. Now i know why the 5670W's didnt work out too good. I just ordered some EH 6922's for the driver replacements. I've been told that Id notice a bigger difference swapping driver tubes then I will swappin power tubes. Guess Ill find out soon enough.

What have others experienced, bigger difference in driver tubes vs. power tubes?
Be careful with tube swapping as 6n3p(or 5670) has different pinout than 6n1p - heater is on 1&9 and for 6n1p on 4&5 so if 5670 lights-up then your amp is definitely made for 6n3p and not 6n1p.
I have an amp that came with Chinese 6n3 and putting 5670W instead improved it drastically. Later got some Soviet 6n3p-ev and they sound about the same as 5670w (but are not as pretty).

Last edited by dovla; 28th April 2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 2nd May 2012, 06:04 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I dont know but for some reason, my amp ended up with 6N1's. I know another guy has the same one as mine and his has 6N3's. Maybe they had an over abundance of 6N1's that day. I just ordered a pair of Sovtek 6N1P hat should be here by weeks end. Ill give those a try for a week or so and maybe ill get a pair of EH-6922's. I have a friend in another forum that tells me the 6922's should work just fine. He's been an audio tech for years and specializes in tube rebuilds. We will soon see I spose.
Thanks for the help fellers, I do appreciate it. Im still open for any and all suggestions too.
Old 20th November 2012, 05:24 AM   #19
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Besides 6N1P-EV and 6922, 6BQ7 would also work and is much cheaper.

Hide this!Advertise here!