• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need Counterpoint SA-3 Board Photo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Short request: I need a clear photo of the bottom of a Counterpoint SA-3 main board.

I'm putting a very abused SA-3 preamp back together, and I'm down to the last problem (I hope). I get a nasty motorboating thing on the phono stage. A previous owner tried to do a star grounding thing with three jumpers from the underside of the board to ground at the back of the chassis. I suspect there's a ground loop in there somewhere that's causing the motorboating. They're clearly owner mods -- different wire, poorly dressed etc. My schematic reading skills are terrible and I can't figure out whether these three points are supposed to be jumpered or not, and if so, how.

Thanks in advance gentlemen.

I've got a friend's SA-3 here, trying to install a switched ladder attenuator in the very minimal space available. The documentation for the unit is kind of marginal with a truncated schematic that inconveniently omits details and leaves me suspecting the 3.0 has significant differences from the 3.1. For now I'm not going to attempt any other upgrades, just do any servicing needed on the power supply caps and FRED rectifiers. I've got decent test equipment to verify performance.

Did you learn anything from your experience?

I've got a friend's SA-3 here, trying to install a switched ladder attenuator in the very minimal space available. The documentation for the unit is kind of marginal with a truncated schematic that inconveniently omits details and leaves me suspecting the 3.0 has significant differences from the 3.1. For now I'm not going to attempt any other upgrades, just do any servicing needed on the power supply caps and FRED rectifiers. I've got decent test equipment to verify performance.

Did you learn anything from your experience?

Damon,

You've got the test equiptment, the knowledge and skill to do a first class, top notch job. It would be nice if there was a schematic available though........

Best Regards,
Terry

There must have been a few different board layouts throughout the production the SA3. The schematics and documentation that I found on the net for the SA3 and the SA3.1 only partially match the board layout on my SA3. (SN: 43016)

Below is a low-quality picture of the top side on my SA3 prior to recapping . . .

scaled_IMG_0172.jpg

Next time I have the bottom cover removed, which should be next week sometime, I'll post a few good quality pictures of both the bottom and top.

Link to schematics and docs referenced above:

http://www.audio-circuit.dk/download_a-c.php?q=Counterpoint-SA-3-1-pre-sm.pdf&cat=1

Last edited:
I know this response is way late, but it may help someone. There are at least three different layouts of the SA-3/3.1 preamp. Motor boating can be caused by a number of things. If it is only in the phono stage, then first make sure that any shielded cable in the phono stage has its shield grounded. Try grounding it to the ground side of the phono stage grid resistor (I'd say cathode resistor, but this design grounds the cathode).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.