• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Whispering and Rustling Leaves

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll try again.

Attachments

• schemo.gif
    schemo.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 315
Hmmm... I think I've heard that before in Frankenhouse... lemme see if I can find the faulty 6U8 that did it...

That one's not it... although the triode section is missing the heater... I wonder how the heck that one got past QC! :eek:

Ah, here it is! Lemme get out the mic...

Damn! Now it doesn't want to do it... argh...

Hey, it's working now! I'll try editing the sound bite a bit and see what I can do...

Tim

Rustling

maynardg said:
I'll try again.

Hello ,
This could be due to internal leakage or heater to cathode insulation . Are you using the same tube for both voltage amp and SRPP load ? If so it may be advisable either to float the heater at half B+ or to use separate tubes : one for voltage amp (heaters ref'd to 0V), one for SRPP (heaters ref'd to half B+) . Some tubes are better than others with regards to internal leakage , you could always try other tubes which may be a quick fix . Hope this helps :)

316a

Hi,

I accidently caused a short on the 317t that supplies 2.78 volts to 2 3a5 filaments, the short was due to a solder blob. I was bypassing the adj resistor to improve the performance of the reg. Unfortunatley I onlty noticed I had done this when the tubes were glowing bright red.....

I have fixed the problem, but I am now getting a rustling sound. I have checked joints etc, could it be that the tubes are now damaged, as they worked fine before the short........

Thanks
Raja

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.