Did I get used to my amp's sound? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2012, 03:34 PM   #1
kuroguy is offline kuroguy  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Did I get used to my amp's sound?

My 12at7/832 push-pull amp developed a hum in one channel. I swapped it out with a 6AU6/6AQ5 single end amp while I make repairs to it. At first, the single end amp sounded thinner with much less bass. After a few minutes of listening, it sounds moore full, almost as good as the PP amp. Is it just me getting used to the sound?
Old 10th March 2012, 04:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroguy View Post
Is it just me getting used to the sound?
I'm pretty sure that I get used to the sound of my speakers. If I swap to a different type, I hear it for a few minutes of listening, then quickly get used to it.

I also have the opposite problem of hearing differences from one occasion to the next, when the equipment has not changed at all. (nor the temperature, humidity etc. as far as I can tell).

Last edited by CopperTop; 10th March 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10th March 2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Account disabled at member's request

well it is only logical to assume that if you actually believe there is a difference, the amplifier is not undergoing burning in and no other factors ar influencing the amp's funciotning then it stands to reason you are adapting to the amplifier's different sound.

Even a mindset can alter perception. Maybe you "want" for the amplifier to be a perfect substitute until the old amp is functioning again? There is a psychology of perception which is as interesting as building amps themselves.
Old 10th March 2012, 06:36 PM   #4
wicked1 is offline wicked1  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd say yes, you're getting used to it. I have a single ended 300b amp upstairs. A PP (sca35 clone) downstairs. Both are good sounding.
but, every time I switch amps, I think the other one sounds better.. until I get used to it.
Old 10th March 2012, 06:44 PM   #5
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Psychoacoustics is a funny thing.
Old 10th March 2012, 07:53 PM   #6
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think,

You have to take into account the warm up of components and tubes. My SE amp sounds different after a few minutes. I also think that the SE amp OP tubes run hotter than PP and take longer to reach temp.

The normal effect is for it to sound thin and lacking in the bass for a few minutes. You could prove this easily. Keep the amp on, on load for half an hour before you listen. However yes you do get used to sound, eg listen to the car stereo after the HIFI, sounds like it is faulty and after about 3 mins it sounds OK.

Regards
M. Gregg

Hide this!Advertise here!