• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N6P best musicality? Help with modes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I must say I'm a new learner, I don't have much practical experience with tube circuits.

I built a Unbalancer for my DAC output using 6N6P for the anode and SRPP stage.

B+ = 200V, I can vary it to max 240V

Anode follower:
Ia = 18mA
Bias ~ -2V (IIRC can't see cathode resistor)

SRPP:
Ia = ~2,4V with 150R at cathode

I'm curious if someone tried at what mode these tubes sound best? Do they at lower anode currents?

Impressions: This output stage is great, since I built it there was huge improvement in the sounds - no more fatiguing, screaming music, very loud levels permissible, great 3D picture, much detail and warmth. This is comparing to Lampizator's single 6N6P output.

Last edited:
Good choice staying away from any Lampizator design.

The 6n6p seems quite happy at higher plate currents. Voltage suitable for what you want to run the tube at dissipation-wise. I usually aim for something over 20mA per triode. This is also where the plate resistance is at its lowest, which I think has great benefit in my transformer coupled designs.

I have also used the 6n6p at 6 mA per section in an LTP toplogy with good results. But this was driving EL34 outputs, not a preamp output. Best off with the higher currents imo.

I will try running the 6N6P at 3-4mA (anode follower) per triode and see how it sounds. A higher (10mA) current will be for the SRPP, but anyway I don't need to drive heavy loads.

I'm aiming for low currents. If I don't like the sound, I could change the tubes, right? Something like ECC82 for anode follower and for SRPP, maybe I would leave 6N6P? Some people tell me 6N series sound dim, but I'd like to see myself.

The next stage will be a tube amplifier with easy driven input driving tubes, I'm aiming to build something like Loftin white.

I like listening to music, not taking measures and doing math. Music is a sense and emotion, not numbers and science. From a technical point of view, whenever it "distorts" or not, I don't care. Most importantly is to like the way it sounds.

I will test several modes - 2, 10 and 20 mA and report which I liked the most. 10mA will go for the SRPP.

I like listening to music I'm not good at doing math but if I have to ask for technical advices I pick the guy with the math skill.
If I have to pick a builder to build my new house I pick the guy with the math skill and with well layout and measurement.
If you come up to me and say, I'll build your house and it'll look good and will last for ever but you can't show me a blueprint or any measurement, I'll pass.
Trust your senses is one thing but making argument with your senses is another, especially when it come to audio electronics.
Ears engineer vs real engineer, I know who I listen to for advice.
Just my 2cent.

It's everyone's choice, I also do use measuring equipment, but my ears come in first. Senses are complex and are not measurable but felt. Just imagine, how would you feel if a machine told you how your coffee tastes, how a picture looks like, how good are you at sex? Would you be scoping these if possible?
Trusting your senses is hard for some people, true. For me the most important thing is that the playback takes me to another world, not how linear it looks on the scope.
Although it's a good idea to "calibrate" your ears from time to time - I do when listening to live philharmonic orchestra.
Just my 2 cents :)

idjoel2000 I don't use a PCB, everything is hard wired. This is the test piece. I'm making an enclosure in the same time:

Image Hosting, Image Share, Upload Images - PicBG.net - Photos, Pictures, Wallpapers, Albums

I do use both 6N6P in the input and output, but I plan trying ECC81 and other compatible valves on the input to check how they sound like. The output will be left to the 6N6P for now, I think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.