• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6N6P best musicality? Help with modes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Agree 100%. I just did a simple THD sample test across multiple valves. I never had the time to publish the frequency plots to see what the harmonic distribution looks like. It's just a THD analysis and does not provide any view as to how the valve will sound like.
I think my first test on 6N6P was done about 13-15mA and then tested above 20mA. When I get the tracer up and running again will provide some curves and THD plots for anyone interested in.
Ale

Agree 100%. I just did a simple THD sample test across multiple valves. I never had the time to publish the frequency plots to see what the harmonic distribution looks like. It's just a THD analysis and does not provide any view as to how the valve will sound like.
I think my first test on 6N6P was done about 13-15mA and then tested above 20mA. When I get the tracer up and running again will provide some curves and THD plots for anyone interested in.
Ale

I sure am! tanks for your interest in sharing your hardwork!

Account Closed
Joined 2010
Looking here:

http://www.klausmobile.narod.ru/testerfiles/6n6p.htm

In the last graphic I saw something really interesting.
In between 36.9 and 54.5 v for the plate a sudden change in characteristic that told me that I could make a cascode ccs with both the two halves of a 6n6p operating a 55v per triode, 110v in total per cascode at 10ma at -0.5v bias.
studying further on graphs I thought that it is possible that with 55-60v on the plate, to have 16ma with 0v bias so both the cathode and grid of the bottom triode to be grounded.
What do you say about it?Am I wrong?

Looking here:

http://www.klausmobile.narod.ru/testerfiles/6n6p.htm

In the last graphic I saw something really interesting.
In between 36.9 and 54.5 v for the plate a sudden change in characteristic that told me that I could make a cascode ccs with both the two halves of a 6n6p operating a 55v per triode, 110v in total per cascode at 10ma at -0.5v bias.
studying further on graphs I thought that it is possible that with 55-60v on the plate, to have 16ma with 0v bias so both the cathode and grid of the bottom triode to be grounded.
What do you say about it?Am I wrong?

What about grid current due to contact potential? Wouldn't that be a problem with just -0.5Vgk?

--

Account Closed
Joined 2010
I do not think that 0v bias is equal to 0.5 v. 0v is for 16ma and 55v on the plate.. What I do not know is what amplitude will let me have that ccs.What I need for this cascode ccs is a cathode follower current stabilization that will make a line output 0.7-2v maximum output swing
The schematic I want to modify is the final stage of Allen Wright s fvp5a
Schematics
If I put 6n6p at 16ma and a total of 220-240v on four tubes in series I obtain 55v per triode .Of couse that I modify the attack for 110v at half of the output stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.