6N6P best musicality? Help with modes. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2012, 05:25 PM   #1
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Default 6N6P best musicality? Help with modes.

Hi,
I must say I'm a new learner, I don't have much practical experience with tube circuits.

I built a Unbalancer for my DAC output using 6N6P for the anode and SRPP stage.

B+ = 200V, I can vary it to max 240V

Anode follower:
Ia = 18mA
Bias ~ -2V (IIRC can't see cathode resistor)

SRPP:
Ia = ~2,4V with 150R at cathode

I'm curious if someone tried at what mode these tubes sound best? Do they at lower anode currents?

Impressions: This output stage is great, since I built it there was huge improvement in the sounds - no more fatiguing, screaming music, very loud levels permissible, great 3D picture, much detail and warmth. This is comparing to Lampizator's single 6N6P output.

Last edited by 50AE; 9th March 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 9th March 2012, 06:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Good choice staying away from any Lampizator design.

The 6n6p seems quite happy at higher plate currents. Voltage suitable for what you want to run the tube at dissipation-wise. I usually aim for something over 20mA per triode. This is also where the plate resistance is at its lowest, which I think has great benefit in my transformer coupled designs.

I have also used the 6n6p at 6 mA per section in an LTP toplogy with good results. But this was driving EL34 outputs, not a preamp output. Best off with the higher currents imo.
Old 10th March 2012, 11:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I will try running the 6N6P at 3-4mA (anode follower) per triode and see how it sounds. A higher (10mA) current will be for the SRPP, but anyway I don't need to drive heavy loads.

I'm aiming for low currents. If I don't like the sound, I could change the tubes, right? Something like ECC82 for anode follower and for SRPP, maybe I would leave 6N6P? Some people tell me 6N series sound dim, but I'd like to see myself.

The next stage will be a tube amplifier with easy driven input driving tubes, I'm aiming to build something like Loftin white.
Old 10th March 2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

what's wrong with using graphs ?

education+diy
Old 10th March 2012, 11:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Nothing wrong, but I've been told to trust my ears mostly than graphs. Thank you for the link.
Old 10th March 2012, 12:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

nope ;

ears are most important , but engineering is what saves you from burned tubes ....... ignorance ..... and wasting time

starting engineering way you have basic working circuit , and from there you're using ears , not before

Old 10th March 2012, 12:06 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Of course, it is correct. But what's wrong setting a tube to a low quiescent current?
Old 10th March 2012, 12:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

well , nothing - if needed swing is adequate for working point and if that suits you
Old 10th March 2012, 06:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

***It is strange! This tube was manufactured in Russia, but it is not particularly fond of. And it is very cheap.
Old 10th March 2012, 07:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE View Post
Of course, it is correct. But what's wrong setting a tube to a low quiescent current?
Look at the transfer characteristics (Ug-Ia) graph in the datasheet. At 3-4mA you are operating the 6N6P in its most non-linear part... It needs at least 8-10mA to sound good!

Hide this!Advertise here!