6N6P best musicality? Help with modes. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2012, 09:20 PM   #11
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE
I've been told to trust my ears mostly than graphs.
Don't believe everything you are told, especially on audio forums! Better to start with engineering, even if you finish with ears. 'Ear engineering' often ends up with non-linearity, noise and lumpy frequency response, although some people seem to prefer this.
Old 10th March 2012, 10:58 PM   #12
50AE is offline 50AE  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

I like listening to music, not taking measures and doing math. Music is a sense and emotion, not numbers and science. From a technical point of view, whenever it "distorts" or not, I don't care. Most importantly is to like the way it sounds.

I will test several modes - 2, 10 and 20 mA and report which I liked the most. 10mA will go for the SRPP.
Old 10th March 2012, 11:09 PM   #13
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I like listening to music and doing maths (although not always at the same time!). That is one reason why I do DIY audio. I don't like listening to equipment, so I don't want it to sound good or bad.
Old 19th March 2012, 10:45 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

wow, i just found this thread..

OP, did you make any mod to the pcb in order to fit the 6N6P tube? because there's slight different in pin 6 pinout. in ECC99 the 6th pin is the center tapped point
Old 19th March 2012, 06:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

another question for OP, did you use 6n6p in both input and output of the unbalancer (4 6n6p tubes), or only in one of the stage?
Old 20th March 2012, 01:32 PM   #16
tim614 is offline tim614  United States
diyAudio Member

I like listening to music I'm not good at doing math but if I have to ask for technical advices I pick the guy with the math skill.
If I have to pick a builder to build my new house I pick the guy with the math skill and with well layout and measurement.
If you come up to me and say, I'll build your house and it'll look good and will last for ever but you can't show me a blueprint or any measurement, I'll pass.
Trust your senses is one thing but making argument with your senses is another, especially when it come to audio electronics.
Ears engineer vs real engineer, I know who I listen to for advice.
Just my 2cent.
Old 21st March 2012, 10:42 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

It's everyone's choice, I also do use measuring equipment, but my ears come in first. Senses are complex and are not measurable but felt. Just imagine, how would you feel if a machine told you how your coffee tastes, how a picture looks like, how good are you at sex? Would you be scoping these if possible?
Trusting your senses is hard for some people, true. For me the most important thing is that the playback takes me to another world, not how linear it looks on the scope.
Although it's a good idea to "calibrate" your ears from time to time - I do when listening to live philharmonic orchestra.
Just my 2 cents

idjoel2000 I don't use a PCB, everything is hard wired. This is the test piece. I'm making an enclosure in the same time:

Image Hosting, Image Share, Upload Images - PicBG.net - Photos, Pictures, Wallpapers, Albums

I do use both 6N6P in the input and output, but I plan trying ECC81 and other compatible valves on the input to check how they sound like. The output will be left to the 6N6P for now, I think.
Old 21st March 2012, 11:36 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

If you are going to try other tubes in the input check out 6n30p. 6n30p excels at low currents:

http://klausmobile.narod.ru/testerfiles/6n30p.htm
Old 21st March 2012, 01:55 PM   #19
tim614 is offline tim614  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannat View Post
If you are going to try other tubes in the input check out 6n30p. 6n30p excels at low currents:

http://klausmobile.narod.ru/testerfiles/6n30p.htm
i will try this tube, im currently using 6n6p on my yet to be finish PP kt120.
same pinout?
Old 21st March 2012, 06:01 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

6N30P is also one in my list. It has the same pinout as 6N6P, yes.

Hide this!Advertise here!