• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Identifying this capacitor in my Cayin TA-30 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Upgrading to "better" caps in my TA-30 tube amp. Want to confirm this one before start. "220nk 400vac". Is this 22uF/400V? Also, the two smaller caps that say "Cayin" on them have NO description at all. Each one is connected to the AU7/AX7 preamp tubes. Any suggestions? See pictures. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 248
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 238
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
220nK means 220nF 10% so these are 0.22uF 10% film caps and I would recommend at least a 400V cap here. These may be reasonably good film caps so expect to spend a significant amount of cash to get something better. These are the coupling capacitors to the output tubes.

You need the schematic.. One area I can see where an immediate improvement might be made is to replace the 33K and 39K phase splitting resistors with something other than metal oxide.

Ugh, well. Yes, great point. But isn't that what we all do? Here's what I'm working with...

Cayin TA-30 EL34 PP amp (35 wpc) SED winged C, JJ preamp tubes
AMC DAC 8 16 bit non-oversampling (tube modified output) DAC 8
AMC CD 8 transport
Vandersteen 2CE Signature loudspeakers
Silver helix on teflon tube (VH Audio recipe) interconnects (hand made by me)
VH Audio power cords (another easy DIY attempt by me)

220nK means 220nF 10% so these are 0.22uF 10% film caps and I would recommend at least a 400V cap here. These may be reasonably good film caps so expect to spend a significant amount of cash to get something better. These are the coupling capacitors to the output tubes.

You need the schematic.. One area I can see where an immediate improvement might be made is to replace the 33K and 39K phase splitting resistors with something other than metal oxide.

Yea Kevin is right about the value.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.