Tung Sol ECC803S reissue - thumbs down - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2012, 12:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tung Sol ECC803S reissue - thumbs down - and TELEFUNKEN discusion

tried some of these today.....could not believe how noisy they were...by far the nosiest tube I ever heard. If you are thinking about this tube...google around like I did not before buying....it turns out they have a reputation for having background noise.

[quote] edit: I added TELEFUNKEN discussion to the thread title, lots of interesting info about TELEFUNKEN tubes.

Last edited by speakerfritz; 11th March 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 8th March 2012, 03:02 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
tried some of these today.....could not believe how noisy they were...by far the nosiest tube I ever heard. If you are thinking about this tube...google around like I did not before buying....it turns out they have a reputation for having background noise.
That's particularly bad because the ECC803 family is supposed to be extremely quiet.
Old 8th March 2012, 04:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
could not believe how noisy they were
Did you test more than one with same result ?
Did you compare with some other brand ?
Any measured values ?
Old 8th March 2012, 09:28 AM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Fifty years ago ECC803 meant an ECC83, only better. Nowadays it means nothing, just marketing.
Old 8th March 2012, 06:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Fifty years ago ECC803 meant an ECC83, only better. Nowadays it means nothing, just marketing.
Right. The designation ECC803S once was used by TELEFUNKEN for a special quality, rugged, low noise, high reliability, long life version of the ECC83/12AX7 tube, featuring frame grid construction. All we can buy from current production is none of it.

Nearest comes the J/J ECC83S which at least is a frame grid tube.

Best regards!
Old 8th March 2012, 09:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Absolutely right!

Telefunken ECC803s is not just a normal ECC83 with cosmetic difference like golden pins.

It has completely different plate structure comparing to normal Telefunken ECC83 12AX7, they are like Telefunken 6922 E88CC plates and it has dual stage getters. Early type Telefunken ECC803s has one support rod to ring getter and later types have two support rods.
Old 8th March 2012, 11:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiostar View Post
Telefunken ECC803s is not just a normal ECC83 with cosmetic difference like golden pins.

It has completely different plate structure comparing to normal Telefunken ECC83 12AX7, they are like Telefunken 6922 E88CC plates and it has dual stage getters. Early type Telefunken ECC803s has one support rod to ring getter and later types have two support rods.

This thread reminded me that I have one of these in my stash....but sadly, I'm pretty certain that it's fake........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tele 803S (3).jpg (178.5 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg tele 803S (4).jpg (182.6 KB, 356 views)
Old 9th March 2012, 09:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Do you think it is really the Tesla 'official copy'? The bulb shape looks wrong for it to be a modern JJ; they have a more rounded top.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default hope I'm not thread-jacking.......

Quote:
Do you think it is really the Tesla 'official copy'? The bulb shape looks wrong for it to be a modern JJ; they have a more rounded top.

I have no idea what it is, or what a "Tesla official copy" is...please enlighten me.....

There is no Tele diamond on the bottom, and the printing does not crumble off like my other Telefunkens......The getter looks much like some Russian tubes in my stash.

I can post a few more images if that would help with ID
Old 9th March 2012, 01:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Tesla made valves based on the Telefunken ECC803s and ECC83 designs. I believe (Google will help you) for some reason they swapped the names over, so the Tesla ECC83 had a frame grid (like the Tele ECC803s) and the Tesla ECC803s was a conventional ECC83. The modern JJ is supposed to be a copy of the Tesla, and possibly made on the same equipment although perhaps with inferior materials.

The Russian/East European getter may be consistent with Tesla manufacture, because at the time they would have been in the communist bloc. I believe the Tesla version is supposed to be good, but not as good as a real Telefunken. Given that it looks similar, it is an obvious gift to scammers. I suppose that there is a possibility that it could be an 'official fake' - many Western valve companies relabelled Eastern valves at the end of the valve era. Not all 'Telefunkens' were actually made in a Telefunken factory.

Hide this!Advertise here!