diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Tung Sol ECC803S reissue - thumbs down (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/208363-tung-sol-ecc803s-reissue-thumbs-down.html)

speakerfritz 8th March 2012 12:36 AM

Tung Sol ECC803S reissue - thumbs down - and TELEFUNKEN discusion

tried some of these today.....could not believe how noisy they were...by far the nosiest tube I ever heard. If you are thinking about this tube...google around like I did not before buying....it turns out they have a reputation for having background noise.

[quote] edit: I added TELEFUNKEN discussion to the thread title, lots of interesting info about TELEFUNKEN tubes.

kevinkr 8th March 2012 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speakerfritz (Post 2937646)
tried some of these today.....could not believe how noisy they were...by far the nosiest tube I ever heard. If you are thinking about this tube...google around like I did not before buying....it turns out they have a reputation for having background noise.

That's particularly bad because the ECC803 family is supposed to be extremely quiet.

artosalo 8th March 2012 04:40 AM

Quote:

could not believe how noisy they were
Did you test more than one with same result ?
Did you compare with some other brand ?
Any measured values ?

DF96 8th March 2012 09:28 AM

Fifty years ago ECC803 meant an ECC83, only better. Nowadays it means nothing, just marketing.

Kay Pirinha 8th March 2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DF96 (Post 2937968)
Fifty years ago ECC803 meant an ECC83, only better. Nowadays it means nothing, just marketing.

Right. The designation ECC803S once was used by TELEFUNKEN for a special quality, rugged, low noise, high reliability, long life version of the ECC83/12AX7 tube, featuring frame grid construction. All we can buy from current production is none of it.

Nearest comes the J/J ECC83S which at least is a frame grid tube.

Best regards!

radiostar 8th March 2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DF96 (Post 2937968)

Absolutely right!

Telefunken ECC803s is not just a normal ECC83 with cosmetic difference like golden pins.

It has completely different plate structure comparing to normal Telefunken ECC83 12AX7, they are like Telefunken 6922 E88CC plates and it has dual stage getters. Early type Telefunken ECC803s has one support rod to ring getter and later types have two support rods.

boywonder 8th March 2012 11:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by radiostar (Post 2938662)
Telefunken ECC803s is not just a normal ECC83 with cosmetic difference like golden pins.

It has completely different plate structure comparing to normal Telefunken ECC83 12AX7, they are like Telefunken 6922 E88CC plates and it has dual stage getters. Early type Telefunken ECC803s has one support rod to ring getter and later types have two support rods.

This thread reminded me that I have one of these in my stash....but sadly, I'm pretty certain that it's fake........

DF96 9th March 2012 09:31 AM

Do you think it is really the Tesla 'official copy'? The bulb shape looks wrong for it to be a modern JJ; they have a more rounded top.

boywonder 9th March 2012 12:56 PM

hope I'm not thread-jacking.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by DF96 (Post 2939152)
Do you think it is really the Tesla 'official copy'? The bulb shape looks wrong for it to be a modern JJ; they have a more rounded top.

I have no idea what it is, or what a "Tesla official copy" is...please enlighten me.....

There is no Tele diamond on the bottom, and the printing does not crumble off like my other Telefunkens......The getter looks much like some Russian tubes in my stash.

I can post a few more images if that would help with ID

DF96 9th March 2012 01:07 PM

Tesla made valves based on the Telefunken ECC803s and ECC83 designs. I believe (Google will help you) for some reason they swapped the names over, so the Tesla ECC83 had a frame grid (like the Tele ECC803s) and the Tesla ECC803s was a conventional ECC83. The modern JJ is supposed to be a copy of the Tesla, and possibly made on the same equipment although perhaps with inferior materials.

The Russian/East European getter may be consistent with Tesla manufacture, because at the time they would have been in the communist bloc. I believe the Tesla version is supposed to be good, but not as good as a real Telefunken. Given that it looks similar, it is an obvious gift to scammers. I suppose that there is a possibility that it could be an 'official fake' - many Western valve companies relabelled Eastern valves at the end of the valve era. Not all 'Telefunkens' were actually made in a Telefunken factory.