Tung Sol ECC803S reissue - thumbs down - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2012, 12:54 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

added " and TELEFUNKEN discusion" to thread title. lots of good info about TELEFUNKEN tubes and someone might search for it.
Old 12th March 2012, 02:49 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

I handle 100s of the Tung-Sols, and I have almost none come back from customers. I reject a few from my own testing of each batch, but not many at all. I'd use them in my own gear without hesitation.

For those of you who think that NOS stuff is virtually 100% reliable - I just rejected almost 50% of a batch of (30) 12AT7 1950s NOS GEs, and about 20% of a batch of (20) GE 12AY7s of the same vintage.

One last thing... In doozerdave's post he wrote:

Quote:
At first I thought it must be a bad socket, or solder joint, but I've swapped in several other tubes since then without problems. I will try that tube again tonight (I stopped using it completely since it was affecting my tone tweaking) to see if it was a dirty socket contact, or something like that.
Often just the act of plugging in and unplugging tubes into a given socket will at least temporarily restore good contact. Get some small dental brushes or something similar and a god contact cleaner (I use DeOxit D5 by Caig), clean the socket and the Tung-Sol's tube pins thoroughly, then try the tube again.

As far as comparing reliability with NOS - keep in mind that NOS tubes are almost always screened by the sellers before shipping them out, whereas some current production tube sellers just send out the stock they receive and hope it all turns out okay. Obviously this skews any comparison. Also, the fact that at the present time (in the case of many tube numbers) the new stuff outsells the NOS by a large factor. So the mathematics dictates more bad examples of current production will enter the market and are more likely to be reported.

That's my $0.02 anyway...
Old 12th March 2012, 11:26 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

It seems that I have to retract my previous statement about Tung Sol reliability. I spent about an hour last night testing the suspect tube (and others) and could not make it fail again. It must have been a dirty socket connection. I'm quite happy about this, but sorry I prematurely polluted this thread. I cleaned all the sockets before starting the project, but must not have done a good enough job on that one.
Old 12th March 2012, 07:27 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I am happy with this one, it can be soldered under the socket as well:

Click the image to open in full size.
Here is a 6N17B datasheet in both Russian and English language. Enjoy!

But bear in mind that this subminiature double triode dissipates more than those common tubes in the 12AX7/12AT7/6SL7 range to which it can be compared. Due to it's much smaller envelope I think that it necessitates adequate cooling, e.g. by fins or by mounting it with a clamp to the metal chassis.

Best regards!
Old 16th March 2012, 02:45 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccoryder View Post
It would be overly polite to call what J/J does a joke or marketing. Look at what's on Ebay listed under EL509 or 6KG6A. The real tubes are magnoval (large diameter 9 pin) with a plate cap, able to handle peak current of 1400 mA and pulse voltage to 7000 V in horizontal deflection service (line amp) in television sets, much like a 6LQ6, yet those being sold, with the number printed on them no less, have an octal base, no plate cap, and require so-called modifications.
Well, this is not J/J's unique feature:

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!