Output stage for a Mono FM tube tuner - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2012, 06:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Output stage for a Mono FM tube tuner

Since this is a tube question, I hope this is the correct forum. Question regarding capacitor values for the output stage of a mono FM tube tuner. The output of the ratio detector is capacitor coupled, .01uF, to the cathode of a 6BN8 through a voltage divider then capacitor coupled to the output through a .05uF as indicated on the schematic. The actual output coupling capacitor is labeled 224K. I can't seem to find the right conversion. I think it would be either .22uF or 2.2uF. In any case do these values seem appropriate for this type of circuit? Circuit design is from 1961. Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 06:46 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

224K is 0.22uF. I don't think this marking scheme was used in 1961 so the cap is probably part of a repair. The value is not critical, provided the load is high enough in resistance.

To say any more we would need to see the circuit.
Old 7th March 2012, 07:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Smile .22uF OK circuit pics to follow

I kinda thought so but wasn't sure. The original value, .05uF was from the original 1961 schematic. I kind of figured the 224K was a replacement. Pics to follow. Thank you.
Old 7th March 2012, 08:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Smile Schematic of tube tuner output stage

OK Here's the diagram of the output stage of my tube tuner. The output of the ratio detector goes to a volume control and also to the front end for an AFC control. Any info on the values of these capacitors would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tuner schmtc 003.jpg (286.0 KB, 92 views)
Old 7th March 2012, 08:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Somewhere there needs to be a 75uS de-emphasis (for USA). Not enough is shown to be certain, but C36 might be involved.

All good fortune,
Chris
Old 7th March 2012, 08:35 PM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Yes, not enough shown to be clear what is happening.
Old 7th March 2012, 09:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have looked at a Quad FM1 schematic which was also in production in 1961.

I find very similar values to you describe. In the FM1 The Acoustical Manufacturing Company ( Quad ) used .04uf coupling capacitor then 220k in series, to the audio out - with 100k to ground and 1000pf in parallel with that 100k resistor.

Cheers / Chris
Old 7th March 2012, 09:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default The broken line above the output stage......

The broken line above the ouput stage indicates a sealed package that contains all the de-emphisis and high frequency suppresion, above audio frequencies, circuitry. The manufacturer calls this a P.E.C., "Packaged Electronic Circuit". The manufacturer states "The use of a P.E.C. is to eliminate any variations in performance caused by variations in wiring techniques". I quess all kit builders don't build things the same.

Hide this!Advertise here!