• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

OPT choice for PP1C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there,

I am still working on my PP1C, see:

Rundmaus at work - PP1C without sand - diyAudio

Now, here's another question to the diyaudio community, concerning the choice of output transformer:

The schematic suggests a 5k plate-to-plate transformer, and at first sight I thought a Lundahl LL1663 5k:8 Ohms would do. But with the winding ratio of 24:1 given in the Lundahl datasheet, this is merely 4.6k:8 - with the ratio being even worse when impedance variations (usually downwards) of the speakers are taken into account.

What do you think, is 4.6k:8 acceptable with the usual impedance variation 8 Ohm speakers produce?

Alternatively, one could use the LL1620, LL1623 with primary impedances of 5-6k, but the LL1663 is already 130 Euros and the larger ones are close to 200 Euros per piece. This is getting too expensive!

Alternatively, I have a transformer vendor who could custom-wind C-core output transformers - stock values are 6.6k:8 but different ratios are doable on request.

So the choices are:

1) Take the cheaper Lundahls and live with 4.6k:8 or worse.

2) Pay a lot of money for the multi-impedance Lundahls.

3) Get a custom-wound C-core OPT for half the price of the Lundahls, but with no experiences concerning quality. The power transformer bought there was very nice, but OPTs and their winding techniques are a different beast....

What do you think?

Greetings,
Andreas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.