• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Drawing software for P2P layout?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm wondering if there is anything (free) out there that is a good drawing tool for doing point to point layout mock-ups. Something that already had tube socket models would be preferable. I could draw my own but I'd rather use something with all the parts already done.

I've used Eagle before. I haven't tried it for p2p but it occurs to me that it would have some shortcomings / constraints that aren't really geared for p2p layouts.

You can run an older version of Sketchup with Wine. You won't be missing anything much.

Lot's of plugins and 3D warehouse if you need it. I prefer to draw my own components, although I have used the warehouse from time to time. lol

Any reputable source for older versions of SketchUp? v8 is a definite bust.

I downloaded blender to give that a shot.

I like Google less and less. I am a developer and I continually find myself saddened / annoyed by the things they do (and fail to do).

I used to use Sketchup 5 on my other ubuntu 9 box.

Apparently Sketchup 6 and 7 are somewhat working now in wine with nVidia cards, if you want to try.

I did find some versions of Sketchup 5 on the web and your favorite torrent site.
I will let you pick one, since I have not actually downloaded and tried them.

Avoid downloading free trial "Pro" versions, as they are only good for so long.
The main differences between regular and Pro are:
-Pro has some extra export capabilities to CAD.
-Pro is for businesses, what you draw, you own. (Don't go drawing something valuable and patent worthy with the free versions, as you might not actually own the drawing.)

It is worth it, nothing compares, overall.
If you can draw well with a ruler and pencil, you will leave people in the dust using AutoCAD or anything else.
Extremely fast and intuitive, you will look back at AutoCAD and shake your head, IMO

AutoCad still may have a place.
For example I have a tough time drawing a tapered pitch propeller blade etc. in Sketchup without having to resort to wireframed drawings.

I feel your pain. Stuff like this keeps Windows in business.

That's like comparing a slide rule to a calculator, depends what you want to do.

-In Sketchup your model is in 3D, you can orbit around, view it any way you like.
-You only have to draw a repeatable item once, then make it a "component".
-Adjustments and corrections are easier, faster and cleaner.
-You can draw in MM, and measure imperial if you want.

I could go on and on, you would just have to try it.
Sketchup is a very "Pencil and Paper" type program, but better.

Example: I would use it to get my measurements to cut the roofs for new homes. I can do this from the luxury of my vehicle or at home. All I need are the actual wall lengths and the blueprint.
Then cut the whole package on the ground and toss it together.
Takes half the time and is much easier, maybe even a little safer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.