• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

cap upgrade worth it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Humm!! 345V - 225V = 119V across 68K is 1.8 mA

2 times that (for each of V103 and V104) = 3.6mA

Not sure how you came up with 6mA.

If you make this change (adding the current source) it will also be necessary to change the anode loads to be equal, make them both 68K.

Cheers,
Ian
Sorry you have right , I calculate ( in a hurry ) the current across the R119 405V-345V / 10K =6mA:D
I "forgot " the other stage ( V101 102 )

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'm willing to give these a shot. One other question, the 10 ohm restistors on the el34's are 5% tolerance (J rated), I measured them on each valve and they are not equal values. I've read it's pretty important to have these equal so the balance will be proper. Is this something that I should rectify?

The 10 ohm resistors it's better to be equal to help you to set the current of each output tube easier , I mean if you have equals resistors and the same voltage drop on each one then the currents will be equals .
This is important because if you put a voltmeter on the two anodes of the tubes the measured voltage should be zero , otherwise ( for example if you measure 1 or 2 volts ) there is a risk of saturation in the output transformer .

How closely matched must the resistors be to give acceptable balance when adjusting the valves? For example, in the right side, one gives a reading of 10.4 ohms, the other 9.9 ohms. I'm thinking this isn't good enough. Isn't there a danger of magnetizing the OPT's core if the tube currents are different?

You can leave the 10Ω resistors as they are , and set the voltage on them for example 0.3V ( 0.3V / 10ohm = 30mA attention this is only an example ) using the RP101 and RP102 and then measure the voltage on the two anodes , if it's not zero then " re- tune " one of the RP101- RP102 to make the voltage zero .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.