Phase splitter into push pull front end - possible? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2012, 07:35 PM   #1
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Phase splitter into push pull front end - possible?

So I was looking at a PP schematic and I got to thinking. Could your preamp stage be push pull? I don't see why but to do so you would need a phase spliter to be the first stage of your amp. Now that is something I am not sure is possible. So can you have a phase spliter be the first part of an amplifier?
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:06 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

You could, but it creates complication with little or no obvious advantage.
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Stop pulling his leg DF. We all know it cant be done, no way.
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:30 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A phase splitter can certainly be the first stage in an amplifier. Two common topologies are a long tail pair with one triode driven by the input and an CCS in the tail ensuring equal output from the two triodes or an input transformer that splits the phase.
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

exactly the topology used in baby huey...
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A phase splitter can certainly be the first stage in an amplifier.
I have built a power amp where all three stages are LTP's with a CCS in the tails of each stage including the output stage. So which stage or stages are the phase splitter. The amp sounds quite nice BTW.

It is possible to make a preamp with all LTP's too, and you can wire your phono cartridge differentially so that everything from the vinyl to the speaker is balanced. I started down this path years ago but haven't finished it yet. Some day......
Old 3rd March 2012, 08:01 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

No its not!
Old 3rd March 2012, 07:31 PM   #8
popilin is offline popilin  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Yes, it is possible and more simple, see the VDV-PR20HE by Menno Van Der Veen as an example.
UL40-S2-Mod

Best Regards
Johann
Old 3rd March 2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Yvesm is offline Yvesm  France
diyAudio Member

All serious amplifiers should be designed that "symmetric" way from the front end:
-Better S/N ratio
-Less distortion
-Larger signal headroom, can eventually reaches twice the B+

Well, tube count is doubled . . .

Yves.
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:03 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It is possible.......No its not!
When someone tells me that something is not possible, I usually just go and do it. But when someone tells me that something that I (and others) have already done, With no proof or explanation.....I just ignore them....and their future posts.

Quote:
All serious amplifiers should be designed that "symmetric" way from the front end:
-Better S/N ratio
This concept has been thouroughly explored already. Google "downward dynamic range". Once you have achieved extreme amounts of power you can make the loud stuff plenty loud. To further improve the system dynamic range you must make the quiet stuff quieter. This means chasing all the hum and noise out of the system. Differential circuitry has better PSRR and hum immunity. Opamps are all designed this way.

Allen Wright of Vacuum State Electronics published several preamp and power amp designs that are fully differential from the phono cartridge to the OPT. Some of the designs are 14 years old. It can and has been done.

Hide this!Advertise here!