Help: Western Electric 418A tubes wire in triode ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2012, 01:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help: Western Electric 418A tubes wire in triode ?

Could someone tell me how to wire the Western Electric 418A in triode ?

I want to use this tube for a preamp.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WE-418A.PDF (85.5 KB, 104 views)
Old 1st March 2012, 01:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Simply connect pin 5 (screen) to pin 2 (plate). You could use a small value resistor of about 100 ohms to do this, but It's probably not necessary.
Old 1st March 2012, 01:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help.

Could you tell me what is the appropriate primary impedance of output transformer for this tube ?
Old 2nd March 2012, 01:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I want to use output transformers with this tube.
Can someone tell me what is the appropriate primary impedance?
Old 2nd March 2012, 02:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

In order to provide a proper answer, more information is needed including operating points and triode plate curves. I doubt very much if triode curves for this tube exist. While I was in the surplus tube business for years, and have an extensive tube data library, I've never seen WE triode curves for any of their pentodes.

Further complicating matters is the fact that this is not a popular WE tube and I suspect few builders have ever worked with it. Also, most all WE tubes are unique unto themselves and have no close generic counterparts to compare to.

Given all of this and the knowledge that triode connecting most any pentode lowers the plate impedance, if I had a gun to my head, I would guess a load impedance of somewhere between 2500 to 5000 ohms would be close. But it's only a guess.
Old 2nd March 2012, 02:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I built an amp with 429A pentodes and found them to be hit or miss in how well they work. One tube just starts to work well when the grid is sitting at 0 volts The others seem weak overall and don't bias close to what the specs say. The bad tube works better when the heater is run a few volts higher but it probably has a bad vacuum. I tried "cooking" it at higher currents but it always settled back.
Old 2nd March 2012, 02:54 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Looking at the datasheet for the 418A, can calculate the triode Mu off the bottom page 3 graph of plate current versus grid voltage as around 30 to 35 approx. (depending on current op.)

http://www.scottbecker.net/tube/sheets/084/4/418A.pdf

Then assuming the triode gm is the same as the pentode gm at any given op. current, one should be able to calc. the triode plate Rp from Mu = gm * Rp.
So at 50 mA, 33 = .0265 * 1245 => 1245 Ohms Rp, an estimate anyway.
Lower current will decrease gm and raise Rp as the Ip^.5 power roughly, or derive from the graphs.

Last edited by smoking-amp; 2nd March 2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 2nd March 2012, 03:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys for the information.

Hide this!Advertise here!