• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Effect of IERC coolers on SQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have just had the oddest occurence. I have a pair of modified (teflon and styrene caps) ASL Monsoons with 8 EL34s each. I just installed some IERC tube coolers on the EL34s. I cannot believe how much the SQ improved. Smoother highs, better definition, better soundstage replication, the whole nine yards. Can someone explain this-lack of microphonics in tubes perhaps? I am at a loss. Thanks and regards

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I use some smaller IERC coolers/shields on driver and small signal tubes. I suspect the design of the shield with its multiple fingers damps the envelope effectively, also obviously reduces or eliminates effects of EMI on the tube as well.. I haven't tried them on power tubes so I can't imagine what the story is there.

They're pretty pricey even for surplus NOS or used on eBay so I try to grab them at ham fests for chump change whenever I can.

I doubt it could be measured by traditional means. Regards

If you had a digital cro and could store an 'input side' waveform, and an 'output side' waveform (ie. on either side of the EL34 stage) then you could do a scale and subtraction and attempt to set up and look for non-harmonically related noise, or noise of a particular frequency that was persistent with change in input signal.

Best if you remove any feedback that would attempt to reduce any EL34 induced distortion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.