• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube standoff ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a test accessory for measuring signals and voltages on various types of tubes. I haven't dealt with tube equipment for years but am wanting to get involved once again.

This device was made of an inert material (Bakelite?) which you would insert into the tube socket, then plug the tube into the device - on which there were exposed contacts around the base where the tube plugged in, each connected to one pin.

The device allowed you to have easy access for troubleshooting and you did not have to take the chassis apart to get to things. There were different sizes: octal and others for various types of tubes.

I've looked for these in various places but am usually met with the questioning look "Tubes?" . Thank you for any help you can give!

Thank you Andreas - that is close to what I'm looking for but not quite.

Along the top of the adapter where the tube would plug in was a set of metal contacts, each being numbered for the corresponding pin of the tube. This made it quite easy to check signals and/or voltages.

It has been quite a long time since I worked on tube equipment (from USAF back in the 60's) but I now find myself with quite a bit of glass-bottle equipment - from audio amps to Hammond B3 and B4's. Just hate to see those quality pieces go to waste.

Thank you again!
KenC

This device was made of an inert material (Bakelite?) which you would insert into the tube socket, then plug the tube into the device - on which there were exposed contacts around the base where the tube plugged in, each connected to one pin.

These things used to be pretty common items in TV and radio repair shops in the 1960's. I used to have a set myself back then. Unfortunately I haven't seen my set since the 70's. They do show up every once in a while at hamfests, but I don't remember seeing one recently. I think they were called test adaptors.

You just missed a set of Pomonas on feeBay last week. $22.50

Attachments

• 2974327868B34B69899AD75731287C81.jpg
    2974327868B34B69899AD75731287C81.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 160
Thank you HollowState and Speaker - those are exactly what I was attempting to describe. Now all I have to do is locate a set.

Now the question - what is the current method of troubleshooting valve circuits? Swapping out expensive tubes only gets you so much information (and you never know the quality of the tube you are inserting) and taking apart an entire chassis to gain access to live pin connections sounds time consuming and exposes you to too many problem areas.

Think of trying to trace a signal in an 50's electronic organ with it's 50-60 tubes! You can spend literal hours just getting to things. Just not an efficient use of time.

Thank you again to everyone - this is a great welcome to the website!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.