• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help with Conrad Johnson

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few months back, several of the member here were able to help me with a repair of my Conrad Johnson MV100 tube amp. Well it played quite well for several months and then problems. I powered it on and on the channel which was repaired it seemed as though I had a bit of popping and static in that channel, which would be the right channel. Now if you tap the chassis of the amp it would go away.

As suggested by several of the member it could be cold solder joint on the output tubes. well I re-soldered them and I got worse, but the tube sockets seemed to be pretty beat up. Ordered some new Ceramic tube sockets PRETTY!!! Spent hours changing, cleaning and installing the new one, Powered her up and the same problem.

What is happening is I am getting a loud squelching static and all of the bias LED's and coming on!! Both channels. For the love of GOD, I have no idea what is going on. Filter caps or coupling caps, seem like something in the bias and output stage.

If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated, at this point I am about to to box up and put away for good. It's really not worth the time and money any longer.

1st remove V1 and V3, Is the sound still there? If so, disconnect one end of C24,C25,C26 and C27. Is the sound still there? By disconnecting those caps, you are seperating the phase inverter and preamp from the output stage. This will help you determine which half to focus on. (those caps are also suspect)
By removing just V1 and V3, you are eliminating the load on the plate and cathode resistors of those stages, indicating either faulty pre and phase inverter tubes or scratchy resistors. If you remove the output tubes and this noise is still present, You may have internal leakage in one output tranny.

If I'm not intruding on the exchange ... Dhunte21, did you decide to keep the amp? I am looking for a tubey-sounding amp, so let me know if you decide to get rid of it. If it ever worked, what did you think of it?

Also, did you consider sending it to CJ to get fixed? Very non-DIY of me to ask, but ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.