• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ASL Preamp Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to do a little tube rolling in a ASL AQ 2006DT preamp. I have no idea where to start though. There are 4 12ax7s and 2 12au7s along with a 6BM8 and a 5ar4. I'm pretty sure the rear pair of 12ax7s are for the phono stage as theory are covered by tube shields but what do the others influence? I'll attach a couple of schematics.
Thanks in advance
Dave

Attachments

• ASLTubes.jpg
    ASLTubes.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 94
  • ASLSchematic.jpg
    ASLSchematic.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 179
That is a strange circuit! Appears to have a rather basic phono preamp, followed by a complicated line stage. The line stage has a cathode coupled amp (sometimes wrongly called 'grounded grid') followed by a cascaded cathode follower, although the diagram is rather difficult to read.

I can't tell which way round the line stage valves are, but either way would be wrong! If the single 12AU7 (per channel) is used for the cathode coupled stage then the 12AX7 is used for the follower and you have weak current drive capability. The other way round you have plenty of drive, but far too much gain.

As there is no overall negative feedback, and the phono stage probably has barely enough loop gain for bass boost, the performance of the circuit will depend on how closely the valves you have match those used by the designer.

That is a strange circuit! Appears to have a rather basic phono preamp, followed by a complicated line stage. The line stage has a cathode coupled amp (sometimes wrongly called 'grounded grid') followed by a cascaded cathode follower, although the diagram is rather difficult to read.

I can't tell which way round the line stage valves are, but either way would be wrong! If the single 12AU7 (per channel) is used for the cathode coupled stage then the 12AX7 is used for the follower and you have weak current drive capability. The other way round you have plenty of drive, but far too much gain.

As there is no overall negative feedback, and the phono stage probably has barely enough loop gain for bass boost, the performance of the circuit will depend on how closely the valves you have match those used by the designer.

None of the above sounds promising. Doesn't SOUND too bad though. Not using the phono stage. Running my DIY phonoclone3 into the dac input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.