• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

mA meter drags the circuit down

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 0-1mA D.C. Milliamperes meter by the Beede Electrical instrument Company Inc that I wanted to use as a testing meter for tube bias. I measured the meter and it measures roughly 45 ohms. I thought maybe this was too low and that I needed some type of circuit to help so that when I used the meter I would obtain the correct reading without pulling the circuit down. I used a TL082 op amp in which to drive the meter thinking that it would raise the impedance of the meter as seen by a circuit. It didn't seem to work as I wanted it to. Measuring tube bias in a circuit with a 10 ohm resistor from cathode to ground with a standard VOM meter I saw .350 volt across the 10 ohm resistor and with the meter and circuit it dragged it down to about .300 VDC across the 10 ohm resistor.

Any ideas?

Meter circuit

Attachments

• Meter circuit.jpg
    Meter circuit.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 99
OK, so what you want to do is apparently to convert your milliammeter into a voltmeter. You can do that with a simple series resistor- see the Rod Elliott article for the calculations- no opamp needed. Your cathode resistor is 10R, so the voltage across it (0.350V) means you have 35mA. Where do you want that on the milliammeter? A convenient spot is 0.35mA (but you can make that anywhere you like). The total series resistance in the meter circuit is R = 0.35V/0.00035A = 1k. You have 45R already, so the series resistor will need to be 955R.

The 1k total meter resistance shunted across the 10R sense resistor will perturb the reading a bit, but not much.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.