• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Modifying the Lowther Club HK Jazz 6L6 ($449 SET amp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently purchased a Jazz 6L6 direct from Lowther Club HK and have been quite impressed with this little amp especially given its modest price.
Even unmodded and with the Chinese valves it arrived with it delivers very smooth, relaxing sound especially at the low volume levels I tend to do most of my listening at.

I'm hoping to improve its sonics even further and have ordered an assortment of NOS tubes which I'm sure will do the trick, along with some Obbligato premium gold film caps to replace the 0.33uF WIMA coupling caps, because I've never been a big fan of WIMAs and find them somewhat veiled.

I've worked with valve circuits before but my knowledge of electronics is quite rudimentary so I mainly limit myself to simple mods like replacing caps/resistors etc and simple circuit changes.
Lowther Club HK were kind enough to send me a schematic of the amp and I'd love it if some of the more knowledgeable folk on the forum could take a look and gauge if there are any fairly simple changes I can make to improve things even more.

Cheers, thanks for reading guys.

Here's a photo of the amp:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The specs and further details are listed here:

Lowther Club Home

Here's the schematic:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Man... the price is very attractive.

Here are some that I can propose:
- replace 240k 6L6G grid leak resistor with grid choke
- change 100k pot to a stepped attenuator
- bypass 680u/50v with good quality film cap, or change to BlackGate
- bypass 22u/400V and 220u/450v with good quality film cap
- change output transformer. :p
- change 5H choke to amorphous choke
- regulate the 6L6 grid supply. Zener used tends to sound noisy. YMMV.
- change to Mundorf SIO or Gold-IO perhaps for coupling?
- change to interstage transformer coupling

These three seem low effort and are great ideas....but can you use a grid choke on a 6l6....I normally see them on input tubes mainly due to their very low current capacity....any grid choke recomendations? thanks

It's better to use grid choke than grid leak resistor on output tube. Maybe you mixed up with plate load choke. Grid choke does not carry DC but only AC. It is good for the driver/input tube where it sees higher impedance -> easier to drive, it also present a low DCR for the output tube grid.

There are several vendors that has grid choke. Check the vendors below the line:

Attachments

• Grid-Choke-1.jpg
    Grid-Choke-1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

...then make some measurements and notice that you have ruined frequency response, got higer THD and have less money :D.

wow that is too much negative feedback. I'm sure this circuit could sound better if someone like me works out the apparent design flaws.

negative feedback should be used as gain control and the last resort. and not to patch up the design flaws.

in a perfectly designed amp, removing the global negative feedback resistor doesn't change the noise floor.

wow that is too much negative feedback. I'm sure this circuit could sound better if someone like me works out the apparent design flaws.

negative feedback should be used as gain control and the last resort. and not to patch up the design flaws.

in a perfectly designed amp, removing the global negative feedback resistor doesn't change the noise floor.

But if you remove feedback loop completely from this amp you should connect output tube as triode. Otherwise frequency response will suffer a lot.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011

Nothing like spending the other's money, eh?! :D Most of these are "audiophile" mods, they hardly address the amp's "design".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.