• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

RCA 6V6PP amp schematic (Schade fb)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
rca6v6pp.jpg

I have a few questions about this schematic, first off has anyone seen it or built it?

The resistors in the concertina seem extremely large, is there a reason for this?

Also, the screens for the 6AU6's share the same 1 meg dropping resistor and have no decoupling, I assume this is part of the design?

Thanks for the help, I am trying to better understand this circuit and determine what could be done to modernize it.

I have a downloaded copy of the 20W version of this schematic, and it shows 39k resistors in the concertina instead of the 390k shown here.

I may be confused about the terminology, but I think of Schade feedback as being connected to the plate of the driver tube. The feedback in these amps is connected to the cathodes of the driver tubes. This type of feedback keeps the driver tube in a very narrow range of operation, especially considering the 6au6 only has to deliver ~ 12v peak to the 6v6. The designers at RCA may have figured any changes in the screen current would remain balanced. I have heard the 20w version of this amp, and felt it sounded very good. I don't know if adding a capacitor to the screens would change the sound.

I have bones of contention with that design.

The value of 1st filter cap. in the PSU badly exceeds the published limits for 5Y3s. Back in the day, rectifiers were comparatively inexpensive and RCA was the last to avoid selling more tubes, due to premature failure. The unbypassed voltage amplifier cathode resistor provides some linearization, but the 'U7 triode is not inherently linear.

IMO, "Cheap Charlie" was at it again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.