• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Zeners and voltage regulation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a circuit with a power supply source of a little over 650 volts. It has a 100K ohm resistor and 8 zeners totaling 353 volts in series connected to ground. The circuit supplies current to the anode of one tube and the control grid of another. With the tubes out everything seems fine. The voltage across the zeners is 353 volts and the voltage across the resistor is 315 volts which is what I want. But if I put the tubes in it falls apart. The voltage across the zeners drops to 261 volts and the voltage across the resistor shoots up to 387 volts. What is going on? Is it that the resistor is bad and failing under the increased load from the tubes? It checks out when I take it out of circuit.

SOS
WILD1

Last edited:
The shortest answer is that your resistor is too big. The slightly longer answer is that the voltage drop across the resistor is large enough so that the zener is no longer properly biased. The still longer and big picture answer is that a resistor-zener "regulator" is not suited for main B+ supply IMHO.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
If this is an existing circuit IE not built,

Then you are drawing to much current so the VD across the resistor is to high so the zeners cannot regulate..Similar to Leadbelly says this is similar to the value of R being to high VD to high.

Regards
M. Gregg

Your tube circuit probably pulls more current than your zener regulator can deliver.
650v supply - 350v zener = 300v across 100k resistor.
300v / 100k = 3mA.
If your load demands more than 3mA, the zener falls out of regulation 'cause there's no more current left for the zener...
Your data suggest that you need some 4...5 mA (360v-260v)/100k=approx. 4mA.
So you have to use a lower ohm resistor.
Lets say you want some headroom - 10mA that means R = 300v/0.01A= 30k ohm > make it 33k (4...5 Watt requ'd !)

Ohm's Law tells me that even when no valves are present the zener string is only getting 3.15mA, probably barely enough to maintain the zener voltage. Take a bit of current (I assume the valve anode takes some current?) and the voltage will drop.

BTW if you want to guarantee a response in under an hour you had better engage an electronics engineer on a retainer contract and pay him well.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Tell Audio Researches engineers that. This is a circuit out of one of their power supplies. That's why I think something has failed hear. If a resistor is a current limiting device and it fails wouldn't the voltage increase. E=IxR

V=I x R...

Is the value correct to the drawing..if no drawing is it correct to the other side? Unless its common to both?
If you measure the resistance is it correct to the marking?
The value could be changed as long as the max current through the zeners is not exceeded..
Then again if this is a design value it should work unless something is wrong with another part of the circuit..

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
I don't think the resistor has failed.
Fact is, the tube circuit - whatever it is - pulls more than 3mA, which is what the 100k resistor can deliver w/in the range of the zener.
If the power supply was designed the way it is and if it worked before, then the fault may be in the tube circuit. Could be anything, tube failure, blown capacitor etc etc etc

Yes DF96 it is the 12AT7 that is affecting it and this is the one with its anode connected to the circuit. But since this is not a homebrew amp I don't think it is a design failure . Something has gone wrong. The amps are a set of M100s so I have been able to use the other as a reference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.