• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Options for 300mA tube rectifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Andy,

many choices among the TV dampers. Since each diode will only conduct half the time, the current drawn from a pair or a bridge can be twice the DC current capability of a single diode. I'd leave some margin however. A 6AU4 might just be enough.

300mA will be absolutely no problem for 6CJ3, EY500 or 6CG3:

VinylSavor: Tube of the Month: The 6CG3

Best regards

Thomas

I use solid state bridges with a 6CG3 as a "pass device" in the B+ to delay conduction to the rest of the amp to match the tubes as they warm up. First application was on the KEG-EAR ST70 clone application, worked great so I'm using it in all other power supplies.

Attachments

• compactron3-3.jpg
    compactron3-3.jpg
    745.5 KB · Views: 246
A 6AU4 might just be enough.

I think a pair of 6AU4GTAs will be quite adequate in a 300 mA. PSU. A look at the data sheet shows a 190 mA. DC rating as a (sic) 1/2 wave rectifier. Damper diodes are built to take repeated large pulse draws. A "yank" 50 or 60 times a second rates to be a "piece of cake". The only thing to watch out for is an excessive turn on surge working into a cap. I/P filter. Don't be aggressive in sizing the 1st filter cap. and (of course) use a CLC filter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.