• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECL82 amplifier help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI Folks, I've just aquired an old 60's stereogram and i'm thinking of re-purposing it as a small stand alone amp, just for a bit of fun. The existing layout is an ECC82 as preamp, EZ81 rectifier and an ECL82 per channel as the output stage.
What I would like your learned opinion on is weather it would be better to recreate the existing circuit less RF stage/tone controls etc or would it be best to start afresh reuseing as many of the old bits as possible. Any help wuld be greatly appreciated!

I prefer tube rectification, for me it plays better than ss ...

True, when crappy 1N4007 diodes are used. If high PIV Schottky diodes are used, no switching noise is generated. :D Some restraint in sizing the 1st cap. of the PSU filter remains necessary. Neither the power trafo overheating nor the "hash" associated with very short charging pulses (tiny conduction angle) is desirable.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.