• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Transcendent Sound T16 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This little amp may be what I need to drive my ribbons. But I haven't heard anyone singing it's phraise.... Before I buy
one (or attempt to clone one) I sure would like to see the schematic first.

Kind of on the same topic I wonder what the output capibility
of the White Cathode follower like used in the EarMax amp
but with a pair of 6080's would be( I was told the math was rather hard
and math isn't my cup of tea...)

Thanks,

Bob12345678

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

The T16 is the one sporting the 6C19i isn't it?

Kind of half a 6AS7G and a cousin of the even better but almost unobtainium TFK ED8000.

While I don't always agree with the design choice of B.R., I've nothing against this amp as such: expect it to be razor sharp and unforgiving of distortion downstream.

Kind of on the same topic I wonder what the output capibility

A White CF using a 6080...hmmm...seems you're even more ambitious to drive miles of cable than I am in my wildest dreams.

Given a PS with fine PSRR the WCF would be able to drive anything but the most lunatic fringe loads with verve...

Your main problem may be matched triode halves though, this is a double triode, not a twin triode.

When done correctly this may well be a butt-kicker...

Oh, and in case you didn't know the 6080 is a direct descendent of the 2A3 itself being...well you got the message.

Cheers,;)

I have heard this amp and I have breadborded in the past the original Rosenblit OTL fro the Glass Audio article using the 6080.

I much preferred the breadbord which I made. This fly's in the face expectations and what BR would have to say on the matter so take it with a pinch of psalt if you like, but it's been my experience and I share it for free.

Both amps have one characteristic which is unmatched by any output transformer strangled amp: aparent expanded origin of sound. the soundstage enlarges in all directions far beyond anything a transformer amp can manage.

The tone of the earlier design is to my ears "better" the latter is a little sharp.

I took my breadbord to a friends house to compare with his mosfet amp. All other things ebing equal there was a whole line of base information missing from the mosfet amp. It could punch out the mid base very fast but it had no sustain and there was a level of information which it didn't give us an incling was there. We wouldn't have known of it's existence without the Ropsenblit amp.

I would recommend the recent kits compared to kits which involve cheap output transformers.

>Both amps have one characteristic which is unmatched by any >output transformer strangled amp: aparent expanded origin of >sound. the soundstage enlarges in all directions far beyond
>anything a transformer amp can manage.

DId you mean that this amp do not have an output transformer? If so, how does it get connected to the speaker. How about a schematic of it.

Thanks.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

DId you mean that this amp do not have an output transformer? If so, how does it get connected to the speaker. How about a schematic of it.

Indeed, it is what is called an OTL (Output Transformerless).

Showing the circuit diagram of this model is not allowed since it's a commercial kit.

The principle of operation is quite simple.

If you use the search function of the forum you'll find some similar circuits if you querry for "OTL".

Cheers,;)

Yes as stated Bruce Rosenblit is famous for his OTL designs.

If you buy either Tube Audio Design or Audio Reality by him you can get some useful schematics, the one I breadborded is in the first book (or buy back orders of Glass Audio now available on CD). I am not sure if the one published in the second book is the beast you are talking about but it's a mutation from the first design but more importantly (for Bruce), it was copywriteable. Naturally Bruce says the copywriteable design sounds better; it didn't to me, but who am I?

Sorry I forgot to say something important about all this. OTL amps are all right applied properly, which means follow schematic TO THE LETTER. Not that easy for a beginner.

I am a fairly seasoned builder and I had a good half day troubleshooting.

I SERIOUSLY RECOMMEND that for a first time build, go buy the kit from Bruce, irrespective of what I said about sound, it sounds better to me than any other kit in it's price range with the same power output.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.