• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Heater wiring idea?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there,

looking around in the lab I had another idea concerning heater wiring - probably someone has already tried, but I didn't find anything in the forum:

MJ says in his books that heater wiring should be twisted as close as possible ie. as close as the insulation allows.

What about using magnet wire / enamelled copper wire with sufficient cross section for heater wiring? Due to the very thin insulation layer, it should be possible to get a very thight twist with that.

What do you think? :rolleyes:

Best regards,
Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I have never tried that type of wire for heaters, but heck its DIYaudio so give it a try ;-)

Personally I am using regular solid core UTP wire for most heaters (2A AC seems to be no problem for this wire). I twist my wire by using a drill, the wire gets twisted evenly and is very tight.

Regards,
Anthonie

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Just my thoughts,

Not a good idea..The current is an issue and heat at the termination. Also do you have fuses in the heater circuit because its a sure way to stuff the power Tx with a short..It tends to happen very fast with a poof of smoke and the TX is stuffed.. The insulation is not meant for this kind of application.

Regards
M. Gregg

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
If you want to improve heavy or signal heater connections,

Use silver plated PTFE single core, It has a smaller cross section for the same current and can be twisted quite close..You have to use common sense with the compression with a drill. However its far better for both power and pre tubes.

Also the insulation is better with heat than PVC.

I guess I should add you can use Example (Three strands of red and three of white and twist togeather make the three red off as one cable and the three white as the other) You have a high current "flexible" heat resistant high current cable.
Small flex is also good (silver plated PTFE)..It dosen't stay in place quite as well..:)

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about this too much. Almost any wire that can pass the power and be twisted is ok. Run it near the chasis corners, stay away from grid wires and keep it tightly twisted up to sockets.
Proper layout is way more important and DC for heaters might help. But for simple diy preamps and amps AC heaters are enough.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.