• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bamboo chassis 6P3P SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, it's my third DIY tube power amp, not finished yet. Nothing new to the first 6P3P SE except the silicony power supply...and the bamboo chassis.

Attachments

• DSCN9250.jpg
    DSCN9250.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,052
  • DSCN9252.jpg
    DSCN9252.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 643
  • DSCN9253.jpg
    DSCN9253.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,996
This is just a DIY project now. The input side is not finished yet. it's a 1.2mm steel sheet metal pieces with IEC, RCA and output connectors. The bamboo work was a top piece of a acient Chinese style desk. It's very nice, rigid and light weight.

No reason for not selling them if somebody is really interested in it. But there's still a long way before selling. We must make it better for a tube amp chassis. Most important of all the price must be effortable to everyone. I'm sure none of you is willing to make a chassis by destroying a beatuiful Chinese style desk.

This is just a DIY project now. The input side is not finished yet. it's a 1.2mm steel sheet metal pieces with IEC, RCA and output connectors. The bamboo work was a top piece of a acient Chinese style desk. It's very nice, rigid and light weight.

No reason for not selling them if somebody is really interested in it. But there's still a long way before selling. We must make it better for a tube amp chassis. Most important of all the price must be effortable to everyone. I'm sure none of you is willing to make a chassis by destroying a beatuiful Chinese style desk.

Well, I am sure that no one is going to break up a Huanghuali mu desk, but bamboo is relatively cheap in comparison (I know that there is a lot of it in Anji, it is environmentally sustainable, so maybe a "greener" alternative) to solid wood, stronger with less warping and cracking, and if it came plain as a box or as two sides, then you might have something that is marketable.

It also adds a modern touch to enclosures in general. But yes, that is a nice project you have going on there. Show more pictures later Ray.

Hey overtheairboradcast, how do you know that much about China? Many Chinese don't know Anji.
If there's a chassis made of REAL huanghuali mu, it's easily to sell it at $5000 with any junk tubes. But it's almost impossible to see real huanghuali mu now.
The bamboo in my hometown is a little different from Anji. It's thiner and harder than Anji's Nanzhu (name of the bamboo) due to the high altitude. As you said it's green, cheap, strong, less wraping. You really make me thinking of market it seriously.

Hey overtheairboradcast, how do you know that much about China? Many Chinese don't know Anji.
If there's a chassis made of REAL huanghuali mu, it's easily to sell it at $5000 with any junk tubes. But it's almost impossible to see real huanghuali mu now.
The bamboo in my hometown is a little different from Anji. It's thiner and harder than Anji's Nanzhu (name of the bamboo) due to the high altitude. As you said it's green, cheap, strong, less wraping. You really make me thinking of market it seriously.

And why not? If you can get panels cheaply enough and have someone CNC machine it over and over again with the right fitting holes and right sized panels, flat pack it or assemble it as part of the shipping box (making the cardboard carton even more crush proof), you might find a market. There are people out there who might like the look, don't have the skills or the tools to make an enclosure, or have the time to do wood. Who knows... you might have something. Ask and see if there is interest or not. Or carry it as an optional premium stock item for the small percentage interested.

My apartment dwelling friend here took two perfectly good looking maple strip chopping boards and we carefully cut it for sides of an amp enclosure. Ran it through the router table to get that notch cleared out and it started to make sense to me (my tools, his idea). At the inch thickness, nice grain, easy sanding, minimal amount of gluing, it looked stunning. The top was a piece of aluminum plate which cost him more after he had it clear coated, polished, and holes drilled (square holes -- ugh) fit right in.

He took it back, stained it golden, put it all together, and used it for a short time (stolen).

My point is that there are a number of people who don't have the tools or gumption to do it themselves, want the least amount of waste or leftover wood, they might be candidates for all this.

Somehow I really like the look of the bamboo tray as a chassis foundation. And I have found a seller in Canton China that sells that exact Gongfu style tea tray. They are not cheap, but I think I will order one just because I do like it. Thanks Ray for the cool idea.

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 272
Hi Hollowstate, welcome board! I'm starting to make the top plate, the front and back plane today. I don't mind to make one more set if you have interest, even include the tray it self. It's not a easy work to mod the tray, much more difficult than I expected.

If my project works fine, I will take overtheairbroadcast's suggestion to order some custom design chassis.

I am really into chassis "art" as our tubes are works of art themselves...
I'm working on a wood chassis made from a "local" wood, an "Ironwood" not found readily thruout the World. I would keep the motif myself...I think it would lend a 'local' identity...........I am having difficulty expressing myself here.
How would I express a chassis in an "Argentinian" motif ????

_______________________________________________________Rick.........

This is Art!!

Attachments

• 211.jpg
    211.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 223
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.