• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Opinion; Alternate input tube socket

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have tried most NOS 12ax7/ecc83 types in the input stage of these mono block amps. I guess I am a tube rolling fanatic, changing these and driver tubes, maybe to much. I have now acquired some e283cc types and like the detail and overall sound. However, since the pin configuration is different, an adapter must be used to facilitate their use. I would like to eliminate the extra contacts between the tube and the socket adapters. Seems any mods or additions at this input point has effects on the sound, thus I have concerns. I would like to use the adjacent unused socket wired for these e283ccs. I would wire the adjacent socket for these tubes(see picture) to the appropriate pins of the existing 12ax7/ecc83 socket. This adjacent socket already has a twisted filament connection from the other socket. Is this a poor idea? What would be the result? The amps are now in a rack system which requires considerable work to do this change and any advice would be appreciated before starting.

Attachments

• input tube adjacent socket.jpg
    input tube adjacent socket.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.