• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6L6 SE Tube Amp Kit on eBay... opinions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was surprised to see that no information can be found on the forum because there are over 6000 hits on this auction: 6L6 SE Tube Amplifier Full Kit (12AX7 and 6L6GC) Stereo | eBay

I am looking to build my first amp and I am interested in the sub $300 range. I have ~96-98 dB speakers (Audio Nirvana full range) and the 6-10 watt range is what I am aiming for.

Looking for something with purity, warm midrange, and very few additives to the original signal. I will be using a sub/sub-amp for the lows below 100Hz.

Has anyone ever used this amp or could someone speak to the quality possibility based on the components/schematics in the auction (and perhaps speak as to why for my and other readers edification)? I am a newbie to amp design but a veteran to audio and sound in general.

Thank you for your time.
-Kevin

Thank you... the amp looks great and probably sounds even better but there is no possible way the wife would agree to 850.

Also, were you saying the OT should be 58H?

Not necessarily, however the primary inductance of this particular transformer design provides for an excellent low frequency response and it has excellent high frequency performance as well.

Thanks,

Scott

by the time you change all the not so good components out, you could have build a better amp from scratch.

and besides point to point if done correctly outperforms the same circuit on a pc board in side by side comparisons. And its more adventureous and gradifying when your done.

Not necessarily, however the primary inductance of this particular transformer design provides for an excellent low frequency response and it has excellent high frequency performance as well.

Thanks,

Scott

Thanks Scott, that is certainly helpful and something I will keep in mind in the future.

by the time you change all the not so good components out, you could have build a better amp from scratch.

Which components in particular are "not so good"? Also, are you saying I could build this same amp by sourcing higher quality parts for less than they are selling for? If not, I am still under budget constraints.

I would seriously recommend looking at the Tubelab Simple Single Ended ampSimple SE board. It is a printed circuit board but you should be able to source cheap transformers ant tubes to make a great amp at a reasonable cost. Plenty of people here have built the amp and the designer provides great support on the forum. There is a dedicated Tubelab section of this forum you should check out Tubelab - diyAudio.

Cheers

I would seriously recommend looking at the Tubelab Simple Single Ended ampSimple SE board. It is a printed circuit board but you should be able to source cheap transformers ant tubes to make a great amp at a reasonable cost. Plenty of people here have built the amp and the designer provides great support on the forum. There is a dedicated Tubelab section of this forum you should check out Tubelab - diyAudio.

Cheers

Thank you much Chrish, that site seems very informative and useful. I will probably end up going with their design. I searched all over the internet for a very long time and somehow I never came across that site.

When comparing output transformers it is good to know the inductance with no D.C. and at the desired idle current (spec separately for each primary impedance tap if more than one). Seeing that the inductance falls very little with current (generally 10% or less, the lower the better) tells you that the current is not causing a saturation problem.

The Tubelab website was exactly what I've been looking for. I love how someone can go there not knowing much about the quality of certain components and brand names and be able to fully populate a working amp.

Chrish, I was already considering the Edcors because of the sub... good call. But I have a few questions:
1.) Can I do a direct split of my analog source output and send one set to the sub amp and one to the tube amp?
2.) Will it cause load issues on either amp?
3.) Will putting a cap on the tube amp input (for low freq. attenuation) color the sound in an adverse way?
4.) Will putting a cap increase the tube amp's apparent gain (i.e. since it will not have to amplify the low frequencies)?

Thank you again,
Kevin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.