• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Building a VT46/PT25H PP amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Looking to build a decent stereo amp based on the VT46/PT25H Pentode.

Just trying to find output transformers for these bottles.

I'm firmly from the "if I cant measure it, it isn't happening" brigade, so oxygen free cryo treated solid silver type stuff isn't for me - I want to build a decent amp at an affordable price, that performs and reproduces as faithfully as possible whatever I feed into the input.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers
T1509

There seems to be a lack of data for these tubes in PP, am I right in thinking that the quoted 5K anode load in Vade Mecum will mean that I need a 5K centre tapped transformer for the output (looking at the amp from a pair of class A amps bolted together point of view)?

That being the case, I see that both VVT and Hammond list transformers that will do the job.

Thinking on drivers, and phase splitters - I have a good stock of 6SN7s, and L63/6J5 types, or should I stick with 4v heaters throughout?

VT46 AMP

Hello,
I've recently completed a VT46 SE Amp which is really very good. I appreciate that you want a PP design but note you are enquiring about suitable drivers. In my SE amp. I've used the high mu triode 6SQ7GT (mu 100) which drives the VT46 very well. I should mention that despite their 30W rating (VT46), I am only running them at 30mA with an HT of 250v. Anode load is 3.5K. The PSU is LCLC smoothing. I'm interested to know how you get on.

Regards,

David.

Hi David,

Progress has been about nil - I've got conflicting info on the heater requirements for the VT46, ive seen both 4v and 5v quoted....

Ive got a pair of transformers, and have got most of the metalwork, just need to finalise the PSU, and commence building.

6SQ7GT - double diode triode.... Well, they are certainly cheap and available!

Cheers
Sean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.