The Emperor's New Amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2003, 04:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The Emperor's New Amplifier

Have anyone any experience building TENA, any good reason till that I shouldn't?

http://www.normankoren.com/Audio/TENA.html

/Magnus
Old 25th September 2003, 02:15 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

If your nom de plume has any truth in it, then don't build it.

It is a relatively complex design and if you have to ask then you should not build it.

Regards,
Bas
Old 25th September 2003, 03:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jewilson
Default Nice Amp

I like the design; I do not believe that toroidal output transformer is required. It true they have more bandwidth and there also can pass more noise and most tube amps do not use them.

I like the regulation and the bias designs. However, I am not the fond of his use of local feedback on the front gain stages. In addition, his layout is a little crude. All in all it an ok design, but there are a lot of nice tube design around
Old 25th September 2003, 03:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well I wasn't thinking of the complexity, more if someone had built it and had any experiences of the sound.

But you are probebly right, I shouldn't built it when I lack experience building tube amps.

As for the name, you never know!

Adjö

/Magnus
Old 25th September 2003, 03:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But you are probebly right, I shouldn't built it when I lack experience building tube amps
That is not what I meant...I meant that you should rather build something simpler ....I have built a couple of amps before...but that schematic looks very daunting to me...with all the bias circuits and regulators....etc, etc. even the main amp itself is complex as far as I am concerned...

Cheers,
Bas
Old 25th September 2003, 05:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I understand that you didn't mean it like that.

And yes it is pretty complex!

/Magnus
Old 3rd January 2012, 02:25 PM   #7
heb1001 is offline heb1001  China
diyAudio Member

Default TENA 3

I built a variant of TENA - the reduced feedback version.

I did my own layout for the components. I also changed the input stage to be fully balanced and used locally sourced toroidal output transformers which limit the frequency response to 27kHz. I also used KT88s.

This was my first tube amp build. It sounds good to me.

Some lessons learned:

12AU7s work OK (and look pretty) but 6SN7s are more linear and result in lower distortion so stick with 6SN7s. I'm now using a 6SN7 in an adapter for TU3 and TU4 and using 12AU7s for the others. This combination is OK.

I think electrolytics CBX1, 2 and 3 and CB5 should have the positive side connected to ground (the bias voltage on the other side is negative).

I used 6.8K for R3F.

The protective diodes mentioned in the text are essential. There are some for the MOSFETs and some protecting the bias servo op amp inputs. They are shown in the layout diagrams but not the circuit diagrams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020281.jpg (991.6 KB, 313 views)
Old 3rd January 2012, 03:39 PM   #8
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

The amplifier name would put me off. We know the emperor's new clothes were not quite what they were claimed to be, so why build an amp which might suffer from the same problem?

Hide this!Advertise here!