Which KT-88 tube? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2012, 11:26 PM   #11
FSHZ:42 is offline FSHZ:42  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheairbroadcast View Post
No problem. If I can figure out how to properly upload pictures here, then I will take a few snaps and you can take a look.

For me, it will be good to hear what your experiences are and what you will ultimately purchase. I think that when my project number one will be finished, I will probably have to make some more purchases to make in the KT77, KT88, EL34, and 6550 areas.
It has been some time since I uploaded pictures. I will try and see if this works. If I remember correctly, you need to upload your pic/s to a site like Image Shack, then click on the icon that looks like a letter. If you place your cursor on it you should see Insert image. Just use the link that you uploaded on Image Shack, and that should do it. I am not 100% on this, but will try and load a pic of the OddWatt amps I have.

Click the image to open in full size.

I am using my Winged "C" (SED) EL34's in them now. They do sound good, but i believe I will like the sound of the Shuguang KT88-Z (KT88) Treasure series better. Also the KT-88's will have around 25 watts vs the 15 watts from the EL34's. By the way, I did try some JJ KT-77's and like the Winged C's better!
Old 16th February 2012, 11:33 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbskeam View Post
KT88 and 6550 Tube Directory

lots of reading.....
You are correct! There is a lot to read over. That is what made me skeptical of purchasing some tubes from China. Have you heard any feedback on the Emission Labs tubes? I was also considering these, but am not sure if they have any that would replace KT-88's.
Old 17th February 2012, 12:02 AM   #13
Apex Jr is offline Apex Jr  United States
diyAudio Member

I have both Sovtek KT 88's an Winged "C" EL 34's in stock

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/apex-...ax7-ecc83.html

Steve @ Apex Jr
Old 17th February 2012, 12:19 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Jr View Post
I have both Sovtek KT 88's an Winged "C" EL 34's in stock

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/apex-...ax7-ecc83.html

Steve @ Apex Jr
Hello Steve,

I already have the EL-34 Winged "C's" Do you have the Winged "C" KT-88's in stock? Also, if you can get the Shuguang KT88-Z treasure series, please let me know. I would need 2-matched pair. Thanks!
Old 17th February 2012, 02:14 AM   #15
Apex Jr is offline Apex Jr  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry, only the New Surplus Sovtek KT 88 available at this Time.
Old 17th February 2012, 02:31 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I would adjust the bias back to where it needs to be; and see how things go over a couple of hours. Naturally tubes age - but the only way to really tell if they need replacement or not is to toss them on a tube tester. I regularly check and adjust my bias every 6mo or so.
Old 18th February 2012, 12:57 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks again for the info, Steve and Steven!!

I really thought that someone on this site would have had some of the tubes I had mentioned in my first post, and commented on them! I guess perhaps someone will respond eventually!

Thanks again guys!
Old 18th February 2012, 01:11 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I recently replaced a set of re-issue Gold Lions KT-88 with a set of Psvane KT-88 T-series in my SE. From the Psvane site "The Psvane T-series black bottle tubes are a further development over the highly sought after Shuguang Treasure Z-series, which was originally first launched by Grant Fidelity in Jan 2009 in North America as Shuguang’s first take on high end vacuum tubes."

I found the Psvanes produced a wider and deeper sound with more detail. Though a bit pricey not an upgrade I have regretted.
Old 18th February 2012, 02:14 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandersen View Post
I recently replaced a set of re-issue Gold Lions KT-88 with a set of Psvane KT-88 T-series in my SE. From the Psvane site "The Psvane T-series black bottle tubes are a further development over the highly sought after Shuguang Treasure Z-series, which was originally first launched by Grant Fidelity in Jan 2009 in North America as Shuguang’s first take on high end vacuum tubes."

I found the Psvanes produced a wider and deeper sound with more detail. Though a bit pricey not an upgrade I have regretted.
Hello Fandersen,

Thank you for passing that info to me! I also have the Gold Lions Genalex KT88's, and have had them for some time. I usually check the bias on them from time to time and recently noticed that the voltage was out of range. I tried adjusting the pot, but could not get the voltage correct. I know sooner or later that there will be a failure.

At first I was going to order another set, but I looked around for some reviews for the KT-88's and found that the Shuguang Treasure series had a good review. I was also considering the Winged "C" (SED) KT-88's, as I have the winged "C" (SED) EL34's.

There is a company in China that claims to have the Shuguang KT88-Z (KT88) Treasure series. I tried emailing them about 5 days ago, but have yet to get a response. I am now very skeptical about ordering from them now.

You have mentioned that the tubes you replaced your Gold Lion KT88's with are the Psvane T-series black bottle tubes. Would these have the same sound characteristics as the original Shuguang KT88-Z treasure series?

Based upon your experience with having listened to the Gold Lion KT88's versus these Psvane T-series black bottle tubes, how would you rate each one on a scale of 1-10.

Thanks again for that info!
Old 18th February 2012, 02:45 PM   #20
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Its not a good thing to run reissue GL Kt88 close to Max dissipation rate. I'd stay within 35-36W Max. I had the same problem with Quad forty II amps and GL Kt88 . It is self biased circuit which runs tubes at 39-40W i.e 90% of Max. After few hundreds of Hrs one of the went into thermal runaway meaning slowly creeping up bias up to the point when undersized 6W cathode bias resistor burned out. There are many stories like that with GL reisue. Its a good sounding tube though. I bought Penta labs chinese uprated Kt88 (also not cheap).
How do you find Odblock amps ? My dealer who caries ARC line also have a pair (with GL kt88 as well I did not listen to them but noticed how small Iron is in those amps. Aprox. 1/3 as big as in any other PP amps he's carring.

Last edited by limono; 18th February 2012 at 02:49 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!