Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Account disabled at member's request

Default PtP wiring: Solidcore unshielded cable

Hi all, just a quick question I had no luck answering using the forum's search engine.

I must complete a driver board which will be long and thin and positioned in a tight squeeze. Amongst other material I have found 25m of escellent solid core AG/CU wire 1mm thick. It is a breeze to solder, rigid enough to be shaped and is new (in hermetic bag).

Click the image to open in full size.

Can I use it for the onboard connections? I would use it to provide some framwrok to other components. All HV cables will be Teflon/silk soft wires but for signal path I could definetely use a rigid wire. Is there an issue with using it even tough it is lacking insulation? Is there an audible difference?

Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 11:17 AM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Ideal for wiring VHF/UHF circuits. For audio it is just a piece of wire.
Old 13th February 2012, 11:37 AM   #3

So I can use it without fear of noise/hum ecc? For signal transport within the casing I will use good signal wire with excellent shieldding but for board wiring I wanted to use this.
Old 13th February 2012, 11:59 AM   #4
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexontherocks View Post
So I can use it without fear of noise/hum ecc? For signal transport within the casing I will use good signal wire with excellent shieldding but for board wiring I wanted to use this.
I sleeve this type of wire with PTFE, any input signal wires should be screened to the grid or input caps. You can make your own using PTFE insulated single cable and screening with aluminium foil with bare drain wire wrapped around the foil cover with heat shrink. ground the drain wire to chassis. Only at one end.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 13th February 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 13th February 2012, 12:05 PM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Whether wiring introduces noise or hum depends on things like where the wiring goes, what loops it encloses, what if any screening it has, whether it is near grounded metal etc. How thick it is is almost irrelevant (except that thicker wire will have slightly higher capacitance to other objects) and what it is made of or plated with affects how easy it is to solder. As I said, it is just wire.

Bare wire can be harder to get right, simply because you have to use spacing in lieu of insulation so you get bigger loops.
Old 13th February 2012, 12:30 PM   #6
data is offline data  Australia

For single solid core signal wire I would use a thinner wire, say .7mm and copper only, but the copper aspect is just my preference.

Last edited by data; 13th February 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 13th February 2012, 12:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

On a positive note, if you look inside classic General Radio Corp. test gear like bridges and resistance boxes, you'll find many things wired with heavy tinned copper buss wire. Without insulation you don't have to worry about increased capacitance and dielectric constant of the insulation. OTOH, using small gage wire reduces capacitance too.

photos of how GR did things

Last edited by Conrad Hoffman; 13th February 2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 13th February 2012, 02:13 PM   #8
data is offline data  Australia

Thanks for that link, Conrad.

Just to add to my other post, if solid copper you can prevent oxidization by treating with DeOxit Gold, or... I have heard that Lanolin works too.

Hide this!Advertise here!