5U4GB Tube Power Supply Schematic - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2012, 04:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 5U4GB Tube Power Supply Schematic

Hello, I am new to discussion forum - building my first amp. I have just completed the enclosure and started wiring the power circuit. The amp I chose to start with is Alex Gendrano's KT88 SE. DIY Single-Ended KT88 / 6L6 / EL34 / 6CA7 Tube Amplifier
I worked through the calculations and have a fairly good understanding of the amp schematic. However, I have one question on the power supply schematic. I have completed the wiring and tested the output voltage. The voltage is from the 5U4-GB is 412VDC. When I connect the filter section the voltage out is 564VDC. Is this correct? The schematic has 400VDC after the circuit. I get the same voltage result if I use the CT of the transformer or as the schematic shows for the 5U4-GB.
Old 12th February 2012, 04:43 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Is your measurement with the supply unloaded? If so, expect the voltages to be unreasonably high. You can load it down with a power resistor chosen to draw the same current as the amplifier to confirm that all is well.
Old 12th February 2012, 04:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, the measurement was taken with no load. Makes sense, I was taking the schematic verbatum as it shows 400vDC with no load attached. Thank you for the advice. I have attached a picture of my enclosure. Regards. Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amp 3.jpg (35.2 KB, 457 views)
Old 12th February 2012, 05:49 PM   #4
euro21 is offline euro21  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Try PSU Designer II. software with stepped load (initial no load, after 5 sec 150mA) to simulate PSU.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5U4GB PSU test.jpg (64.6 KB, 432 views)
Old 12th February 2012, 05:51 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Love those meters! Where did you get them?
Old 12th February 2012, 06:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I know I've seen very similar little meters on eBay out of Hong Kong.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 12th February 2012, 09:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeade15 View Post
Hello, I am new to discussion forum - building my first amp. I have just completed the enclosure and started wiring the power circuit. The amp I chose to start with is Alex Gendrano's KT88 SE.

I worked through the calculations and have a fairly good understanding of the amp schematic. However, I have one question on the power supply schematic. I have completed the wiring and tested the output voltage. The voltage is from the 5U4-GB is 412VDC. When I connect the filter section the voltage out is 564VDC. Is this correct? The schematic has 400VDC after the circuit. I get the same voltage result if I use the CT of the transformer or as the schematic shows for the 5U4-GB.
Unless you o'scope, you can't trust the voltage reading from the raw output of the FWR, as it's not sinusoidal.

As for the rest, it looks reasonable. Unloaded, you can expect a DC voltage equal to the peak of the AC going in. If you're looking to get 400Vdc under load conditions, then 564Vdc unloaded looks about right. The 5U4GB has a forward voltage of ~100Vdc for an Isurge= 800mA (80% of maximum Isurge per plate).

You probably lose most of the remaining 64Vdc across ripple chokes.
Old 4th March 2012, 09:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thank you euro21. I have downloaded the PSU designer but find it a bit confusing to use. Anyway, I have completed the wiring and under load the voltage is at 412. All is working but need to find where the awful hum is coming from.
Old 5th March 2012, 04:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmeade15 View Post
Thank you euro21. I have downloaded the PSU designer but find it a bit confusing to use. Anyway, I have completed the wiring and under load the voltage is at 412. All is working but need to find where the awful hum is coming from.
Did you solve your hum problem? Have you seen this article on grounding?

http://www.geofex.com/article_folder...nd/stargnd.htm

Post a few photos of your internal wiring if you are still having problems. This amplifier can be made to be hum free.
Old 5th March 2012, 07:33 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the link. I did find another artical that helped me locate my ground loop issue, after several hours of hunting. As it turns out, the L and R channel shields were touching and causing a loop. Or, I suppose they were because once seperated the hum went away. There is now only a very slight hum when the pot is at full zero. The hum goes away when slightly above zero, for which it will never be.
This was my first project and am very pleased with the results. I plan on sharing my build in a Gallary post.

Hide this!Advertise here!