• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

newer than noob looking for advice on RH84

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello I am new to DIY Audio. And I am looking for some advice and assistance.
I have very little electronics experience but I am attempting to learn. I want to get into Tube Audio but have no real budget to speak of. I acquired a Zenith 5k29 AMP pulled from a Console and thought I might be able to rework it. However with my lack of electronics knowledge I was quickly overwhelmed by the complex circuit. I should probably build a simple kit where all of the parts are included(or at least there is a clear parts list specd out) and all I need to do is stuff a PCB and then wire it up in a Chassis. I am very intrigued by the Decware kit.
Zen Triode SET kit amplifier model ZKIT1
But I keep looking at the Iron on this Zenith and thinking maybe I can reuse it. It has been suggested that I should be able to use the iron from Zenith in an RH84 build. From what I can tell the RH84 is a fairly simple design that many use as their first time foray into tubes.

I have looked at the schematic but what is simple for most is like a new language to me.

So I am looking for some confirmation Can I use this iron on an RH84, does there need to be any modification the components to in circuit accommodate my transformers or can I just build it per the schematic? Has anyone actual created a Parts list or BOM that they can share?

Am I kidding myself, should I just bag it and wait until I have the money to buy a Kit?
Anyone willing to mentor me?

I just purchased a set of Audio Nirvana Standard Eight Full Range and I am building their 1.3 eclonsures. My play is to build an Oatley K301 RIAA Pre or some other simple Phono pre. I Just want to listen to my Vinyl through some Tubes
Thanks

Normally I'm all for reusing stuff, but in this case I would go for the Decware kit.

I'm sure the Zenith could be used for something, keep it around. I just did some quick searching and I can't find the specs yet for the Zenith transformers. They are out there and it is "doable", it just requires more research and time. You would basically be rebuilding it so the current complexity could be ignored.

If you have cash = Decware
If you have Time = Rebuilt the Zenith.

Lot's of folks here to help.

The first thing to do with the Zenith is find some specs for the Output Transformers to be sure they are suitable for an RH84. You want to find out the "primary" and "secondary" impedance.

If you can't find the specs, it is possible to measure yourself, but it is much easier in this case for you to google.

I have located the schematic for the 5K29 amplifier chassis. If it is the one you have it has 5 tubes, 5Y3GT rectifier, 12AX7 first amp stage, 12AU7 driver stage, two ea 6BQ5 output tubes.

The speaker compliment was four per channel, 12" bass, 5" mid, two 3-1/2" Tweeters.

No impedance info is given, but I believe most console speakers were nominally 16 Ohm for amps of that era.

OK, so the RH84 uses a 5,000ohm output transformers.

The Zenith has according to the Photofact, 9,600ohm output transformers.

So as is, it would not work out great directly connected to 8ohm speakers.

Not all is lost if you have more speakers. See, the amp does not see the speakers you have connected, if you use speakers with less impedance, the amp will see less impedance reflected back to it through the transformer.

Somebody with the numbers could chime in with an exact figure, but basically you parallel speakers together to effectively make a lower impedance speaker.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Can someone post the schema. The Grundig OPTs we used for our RH84 were closer to 9.6 than to 5k -- close to what the Decware OPTs are. Just means lower distortion and a bit less power.

In Canada Zenith OPTs were usually made by Hammond, in the US likely different.

Fatuncle, can you post some pictures?

dave

Those item numbers don't match the schematic I have. I show outputs as T1 and T2.

Attachments

• zenith-5k29-map.gif
    zenith-5k29-map.gif
    102 KB · Views: 359
Normally I'm all for reusing stuff, but in this case I would go for the Decware kit.

I'm sure the Zenith could be used for something, keep it around. I just did some quick searching and I can't find the specs yet for the Zenith transformers. They are out there and it is "doable", it just requires more research and time. You would basically be rebuilding it so the current complexity could be ignored.

If you have cash = Decware
If you have Time = Rebuilt the Zenith.

Lot's of folks here to help.

The first thing to do with the Zenith is find some specs for the Output Transformers to be sure they are suitable for an RH84. You want to find out the "primary" and "secondary" impedance.

If you can't find the specs, it is possible to measure yourself, but it is much easier in this case for you to google.

Check with Decware - sections of their site need updating, as I think they're no longer selling complete kits, particularly including the proprietary OPTs; the $45 gets you a PCB and parts list (recommended OPTs= Edcore). The latter and schematics are readily available on the website, so if you're at all inclined and have a decent parts bin, you could save the price of the kit and just build from scratch. Handwired PtP was always part of Steve's mantra, and for well over 10yrs the original Zen A through C kits were exactly that.

I just listened to one again for the first time in a few years last night - a sweet sounding little amp, a close approximation of which could easily be DIYed for probably $400, depending on how silly you wanted to get with tube set and boutique coupling caps, etc. With a well stocked parts bin or organ donor chassis, probably less than half that amount.

edit: actually reading the Decware site more thoroughly, I see an estimate for the complete kit using the recommended Edcore Iron as approx $220, less taxes, tubes and chassis etc.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanx gimp, in the meantime i actually found a more complete schema (since it is cleaner & smaller i replaced yours -- hope you are OK with that)... and a pic.

This amp is VERY similar to the one that, with RS 40-1197, got me going in my current frugal-phile(tm) direction.

THis is exactly the kind of donor amp that thr RH84 was targeted at. Strip the chassic down to the iron, replace the tube sockets (3 x 9 pin + 1 for the rectifier), add a choke (Hammond makes a 10H 100mA that is perfectly suited and cheap), RCA's in and binding posts (ApexJr is a good source) and go to town.

The thing that made the biggest differenc eon our builds was use of Solen poly caps in the power supply.

dave

Attachments

• zenith-5K29.jpg
    zenith-5K29.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 339
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I just listened to one again for the first time in a few years last night - a sweet sounding little amp, a close approximation of which could easily be DIYed for probably $400, depending on how silly you wanted to get with tube set and boutique coupling caps, etc. With a well stocked parts bin or organ donor chassis, probably less than half that amount.

With a donor like yours, if all the tubes are good, you could probably put an RH84 (or a Decware clone, what we started with, ending up with RH84) for <$100=150 (including Solens (2x32 @ 400V would do))

dave

I agree that a RH84 with the Zenith "iron" should be fine. If the approx. 2 WPC triode wiring yields is acceptable, following the DECWARE SE84 design will work out. If a SE84 knock off is tried, use a current production, Russian, 5AR4 as the rectifier, which will increase the B+ rail voltage. The forward drop in a 5Y3 is quite large.

BTW, watch the phasing of the O/P trafos. Zenith was "cute" and used the 6BQ5s as a mono push/pull amp for a single bass driver. "Cheap Charley" strikes again. :(

The Grundig OPTs we used for our RH84 were closer to 9.6 than to 5k -- close to what the Decware OPTs are. Just means lower distortion and a bit less power.

I don't know about the blanket statement of distortion reduction with increasing impedance. See HERE; it looks like 2nd harmonic distortion goes down and 3rd goes UP steadily as load increases from 4.5k to 5.2k to 7k for an EL84 single ended.

Thank you all

Wow Thank you all! I am learning a lot, This looks very promising I think I now need to sit down and reread all of this a few times so it sinks in and then start disassembling the Zenith Chassis. Then I need create a parts list and get some things ordered. I am sure I will be asking for your help again real soon as I actually start the build,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.