• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

No output transformer tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Is it possibel to make a tube amp without output transformers.

I am thinking of a sort of line array with lots of seriesconnectet fullrange loudspeakers.

If you have 20 or more 4" speakers with 8 ohm impedance in series you get a load of at least 160 ohm is that enough?

best regards

Uwe

Hi

Is it possibel to make a tube amp without output transformers.

I am thinking of a sort of line array with lots of seriesconnectet fullrange loudspeakers.

If you have 20 or more 4" speakers with 8 ohm impedance in series you get a load of at least 160 ohm is that enough?

best regards

Uwe
An old OTL amp, seems the first one, used one(1) special made to order fullrange driver with 600 Ohms impedance.

About the line array, I sorry inform you that various series connected FR will delivery a slow sound, how many drivers, how many slow?? +Just a real test may say.

I remember a great book(missing the name) from Eng.Bessel, where he test various series LA, with 1 out of phase driver in the center.
If you can read this book, it will help a lot.

As a compromise I built a pair of speakers with a single fullrange x-over'd at 300Hz, and have two series connected woofers below the x-over. Gives a system with 8ohms where less power is needed and 16ohms where more is. Most OTLs deliver about twice as much power into 16ohms than 8, so it works out pretty ok. I use a Fostex 6" (can't remember nomenclature, it's the one with mag-shield) and two SEAS 8" woofers. Turned out to have pretty close sensitivity so didnt need to pad either drivers. Not the best speakers perhaps, but a nice easy load for my OTLs.
There are some 16ohm drivers out there, but very little information about them. I wish there was more attention into higher impedance drivers, not only for OTLs, but also tube amps could use less turns ratios in the output trannies, which is very beneficial.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.