• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My new "vintage" tube radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After struggling with my big trouble all night long, I feel a little better now. I Can't help to share my new toy...a "vintage" tube radio receiver to you all now. It arrived a few days before, a really huge wood box with great AM/FM receiving and sound. It was manufactured in 2011, quite "vintage" isn't it?

Never for sell. It's very limited product, even not easy for me to get one.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It would have been a great use for an old tube tuner! Radio is basically worthless for music around here though. I'd need a 50 foot tall antenna to get any decent stations. I had plans a while ago... never finished them.

Heck I threw away a 1930's vintage shortwave AM tubed console radio. They were basically worthless and I just never used it any more. Just imagine, people listened to Hitler and FDR on it!

Internet radio will never give you the feeling of real radio. You need a yagi FM antenna if you are far away from big city. My 5 cell Yagi can catch FM signals 600 km away.
The internet is the new radio. Pandora.com and Sky.fm are really great, particularly if you pay. I use my Blue Ray player for Pandora but I'd need a computer for sky.fm. I'm looking into little fanless computers for that. They're about the size of a book...

I have built a few Yagis in the past, although they were tuned for WiFi, not FM radio.

You might try some experiments with an offset parabolic dish with a waveguide.

I'm not sure if it's suitable size for FM, but I was able to connect to a home router 7.5 KM line of sight from my front yard using Backtrack.

I was impressed to say the least.

I then built a bi-quad antenna onto a WRT-54g router running DD-WRT and made myself a pretty nifty WiFi repeater dish.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.