My new "vintage" tube radio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2012, 09:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My new "vintage" tube radio

After struggling with my big trouble all night long, I feel a little better now. I Can't help to share my new toy...a "vintage" tube radio receiver to you all now. It arrived a few days before, a really huge wood box with great AM/FM receiving and sound. It was manufactured in 2011, quite "vintage" isn't it?

Never for sell. It's very limited product, even not easy for me to get one.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 8th February 2012, 09:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It has tubes in it?
Old 8th February 2012, 09:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

yes. it has a great PP tube amplifier, 6 speakers (2 x 10", 2 x 6.5" and 2 x 3"). Receiver is not tube.
inside photo of another mode, the same as mine excpet the amplifier cell is above the speaker

Last edited by siliconray; 8th February 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 8th February 2012, 09:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

It would have been a great use for an old tube tuner! Radio is basically worthless for music around here though. I'd need a 50 foot tall antenna to get any decent stations. I had plans a while ago... never finished them.

Heck I threw away a 1930's vintage shortwave AM tubed console radio. They were basically worthless and I just never used it any more. Just imagine, people listened to Hitler and FDR on it!
Old 8th February 2012, 09:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Mostly I listen to FM, the inside 75cm plastic cable antenna is good enough unless yo want to DXing. I don't expect to receive anything by AM in mordern buildings full of steel nets.
Old 8th February 2012, 09:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

FM around here is mostly junk unfortunately. I used to have an awesome Kenwood tuner but lost it in a divorce. When I lived closer to the big city, I could get many stations that I didn't know existed.
Old 8th February 2012, 09:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

looks like a 1950s-1960s Philips item originally - I've got several of them at the moment...
Old 8th February 2012, 10:01 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The internet is the new radio. Pandora.com and Sky.fm are really great, particularly if you pay. I use my Blue Ray player for Pandora but I'd need a computer for sky.fm. I'm looking into little fanless computers for that. They're about the size of a book...
Old 8th February 2012, 10:17 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Nice work Ray, congratulations!!!
Old 8th February 2012, 10:24 PM   #10
sled108 is offline sled108  United States
diyAudio Member

Who Makes it?

Hide this!Advertise here!