• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

help designing 6L6G S.E. amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what about this?

driver10.jpg

Some important points. The 12AX7 triode lacks the ability to drive g1 of triode wired 6L6s. :( CCS loading 'FQ7 sections will push the gain up to nearly the full μ of 20 and bypass caps. on the cathode resistors can be omitted. :) The 1045S previously mentioned is fine for the CCS here.

BTW, the place for a CCS in a differential gain block (LTP) is in the tail. Do not CCS load the anodes, especially if a tail CCS is used. Choke loading LTP anodes is fine.

BTW, the place for a CCS in a differential gain block (LTP) is in the tail. Do not CCS load the anodes, especially if a tail CCS is used. Choke loading LTP anodes is fine.

I'm curious, can you explain why CCS is a bad idea for the loads on the LTP? It's apparently done in the tube world and it's common in the solid state one.

I agree the best place for the CCS is in the tail of the LTP.

I can see potential problems if the CCS drift and you get serious shift in your quiescent voltages. The CCS in the tail can fight the CCSs in the plates in a way. But if you shunt the CCS with a high value resistor this shouldn't be a problem, or make sure eventual drift is common and tracks.

I can see potential problems if the CCS drift and you get serious shift in your quiescent voltages. The CCS in the tail can fight the CCSs in the plates in a way. But if you shunt the CCS with a high value resistor this shouldn't be a problem, or make sure eventual drift is common and tracks.

I don't know what others have done about this possibility, or even if it's a serious problem. I wish I knew more about circuit design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.