SiliconRay Kits - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2012, 04:02 PM   #1
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default SiliconRay Kits

Has anyone had a chance to put together one of his kits yet? I'm curious to see how they work out.

I'm particularly interested in the 6j4+6p6p+6z5p HiFi Tube Preamplifier Kit. As a newbie to DIY, it looks like a nice beginning.
Old 5th February 2012, 04:17 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

It may look interesting but you can do far better.

Check out the Aikido line stage.
Old 5th February 2012, 04:53 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Burnedfingers View Post
It may look interesting but you can do far better.

Check out the Aikido line stage.
Ok: thanks.

But has anyone managed to take receipt and built one from SiliconRay's site yet?
Old 5th February 2012, 08:18 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
Ok: thanks.

But has anyone managed to take receipt and built one from SiliconRay's site yet?
I have a friend who is putting together one of his hybrid power amplifier kits.. It is at least loosely based on a suggested topology by one or more of the members here. Waiting to hear how it sounds and what if any sorts of issues it has.
Old 6th February 2012, 08:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

On the photos, i see they include used capacitors, nice touch....
Old 6th February 2012, 09:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by costis_n View Post
On the photos, i see they include used capacitors, nice touch....

Good price, even for used caps
Old 6th February 2012, 01:42 PM   #7
sled108 is offline sled108  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
Has anyone had a chance to put together one of his kits yet? I'm curious to see how they work out.

I'm particularly interested in the 6j4+6p6p+6z5p HiFi Tube Preamplifier Kit. As a newbie to DIY, it looks like a nice beginning.
Yeah, me too...I ordered one on Dec 12 2011...I'm still Waiting for It...I've been told that it can take 2 Months for Shipment...

Last edited by sled108; 6th February 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 6th February 2012, 02:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hello all,
A lot of troubles in shipping. Slow is only one of the troubles. There're several boxes was damaged badly, one of them even lost a power transformer, so terrific.

We found another shipping method, it's air+ground shipping, takes 2 to 3 weeks (to US and Europe). The cost is about $90 for a 6P3P kit (10kg) or $120 for a FU-50 Kit. I just wonder which one do you prefer comparing to the $40 sea shipping?

Hope you can get the packages safty. I'm really anxious because there're more than 200 tube kits on the way.

Last edited by siliconray; 6th February 2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 6th February 2012, 03:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siliconray View Post
Hello all,
A lot of troubles in shipping. Slow is only one of the troubles. There're several boxes was damaged badly, one of them even lost a power transformer, so terrific.

We found another shipping method, it's air+ground shipping, takes 2 to 3 weeks (to US and Europe). The cost is about $90 for a 6P3P kit (10kg) or $120 for a FU-50 Kit. I just wonder which one do you prefer comparing to the $40 sea shipping?

Hope you can get the packages safty. I'm really anxious because there're more than 200 tube kits on the way.
Ray, the reason why I began asking about your kits is because I am genuinely interested in purchasing at least one of them. I would love to order the 6j4+6p6p+6z5p HiFi Tube Preamplifier Kit as a starter. As the saying goes, "Start small, increase size as you go".

But looking on the preamplifier page, I see that 'costis_n' in indeed correct. Several of the caps on your pictures certainly appear to have been used before. Some potential customers would not question the marketing strategy there, but I suspect most would.
Old 7th February 2012, 12:39 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

John, thanks for the interests in our product. Yes some of the film caps are used. I had post long times before discussing about the used capacitors. It seems that most accept that used film capacitors are OK for audio applications. The electrolytics are new components. We do this because it can save some $$ for customers without sacrify the performance. Who don't want to save $ at this crisis time?

Hide this!Advertise here!