diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   SiliconRay Kits (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/206047-siliconray-kits.html)

John L 5th February 2012 04:02 PM

SiliconRay Kits

Has anyone had a chance to put together one of his kits yet? I'm curious to see how they work out.

I'm particularly interested in the 6j4+6p6p+6z5p HiFi Tube Preamplifier Kit. As a newbie to DIY, it looks like a nice beginning.

Original Burnedfingers 5th February 2012 04:17 PM

It may look interesting but you can do far better.

Check out the Aikido line stage.

John L 5th February 2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Original Burnedfingers (Post 2893041)
It may look interesting but you can do far better.

Check out the Aikido line stage.

Ok: thanks.

But has anyone managed to take receipt and built one from SiliconRay's site yet?

kevinkr 5th February 2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John L (Post 2893073)
Ok: thanks.

But has anyone managed to take receipt and built one from SiliconRay's site yet?

I have a friend who is putting together one of his hybrid power amplifier kits.. It is at least loosely based on a suggested topology by one or more of the members here. Waiting to hear how it sounds and what if any sorts of issues it has.

costis_n 6th February 2012 08:30 AM

On the photos, i see they include used capacitors, nice touch....

radiostar 6th February 2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by costis_n (Post 2893962)
On the photos, i see they include used capacitors, nice touch....

Good price, even for used caps :)

sled108 6th February 2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John L (Post 2893024)
Has anyone had a chance to put together one of his kits yet? I'm curious to see how they work out.

I'm particularly interested in the 6j4+6p6p+6z5p HiFi Tube Preamplifier Kit. As a newbie to DIY, it looks like a nice beginning.

Yeah, me too...I ordered one on Dec 12 2011...I'm still Waiting for It...I've been told that it can take 2 Months for Shipment...

siliconray 6th February 2012 02:06 PM

Hello all,
A lot of troubles in shipping. Slow is only one of the troubles. There're several boxes was damaged badly, one of them even lost a power transformer, so terrific.

We found another shipping method, it's air+ground shipping, takes 2 to 3 weeks (to US and Europe). The cost is about $90 for a 6P3P kit (10kg) or $120 for a FU-50 Kit. I just wonder which one do you prefer comparing to the $40 sea shipping?

Hope you can get the packages safty. I'm really anxious because there're more than 200 tube kits on the way.

John L 6th February 2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siliconray (Post 2894271)
Hello all,
A lot of troubles in shipping. Slow is only one of the troubles. There're several boxes was damaged badly, one of them even lost a power transformer, so terrific.

We found another shipping method, it's air+ground shipping, takes 2 to 3 weeks (to US and Europe). The cost is about $90 for a 6P3P kit (10kg) or $120 for a FU-50 Kit. I just wonder which one do you prefer comparing to the $40 sea shipping?

Hope you can get the packages safty. I'm really anxious because there're more than 200 tube kits on the way.

Ray, the reason why I began asking about your kits is because I am genuinely interested in purchasing at least one of them. I would love to order the 6j4+6p6p+6z5p HiFi Tube Preamplifier Kit as a starter. As the saying goes, "Start small, increase size as you go".

But looking on the preamplifier page, I see that 'costis_n' in indeed correct. Several of the caps on your pictures certainly appear to have been used before. Some potential customers would not question the marketing strategy there, but I suspect most would.

siliconray 7th February 2012 12:39 AM

John, thanks for the interests in our product. Yes some of the film caps are used. I had post long times before discussing about the used capacitors. It seems that most accept that used film capacitors are OK for audio applications. The electrolytics are new components. We do this because it can save some $$ for customers without sacrify the performance. Who don't want to save $ at this crisis time?