• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SiliconRay Kits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Pretty slow (sometimes more than 30 seconds to load an image hosted on your site) here both for loading your pix on the forum and your site. I strongly recommend you use our server for hosting pix and files on the site - it will generally be faster.

Edit: As John L states below some images never completely loaded. My internet connection at work is around 5MB/sec and here at home around 2MB/sec. (DSL) I also use www.speedtest.net.

The images are on the same server of our website, don't know why it's so solw for you. How about the speed of our website?

Ray, I'm using a cable modem. I just went to "speedtest.net" and checked my current speed. At this moment it is the following: download speed 9.77mbs; upload speed .36mbs.

Currently it is night and many are using cable modems around here, so the speed is not as fast as during the day. That's how cable modems go. But it is more than fast enough to get the job done.

Also, I am doing many things at one time, using multiple browser tabs, and other sites do not have any trouble loading quickly.

Let me give you an example. I had two of your pages loading late this morning. They were "6P3P Single Ended Tube Amplifier Kit", and "6j4+6p6p+6z5p HiFi Tube Preamplifier Kit". Some of the pictures and schematics would not completely download.

I had to make some errands on the other side of town. I left them downloading, and when I returned over four hours later they were still trying to download. The problem is at your end.

I am downloading and saving all the pictures of your kits, and placing them in separate folders, as they come up. That way I can go there and use them for reference, instead of having to wait for the web pages to finish downloading.

Terrific...I prepared many big photos of the inside of tube amps to show how to assembly it. I think I should upload it to the forum server.

You will get it worked out.

Here is my suggestion for pictures of the bottom of the project. If you take one straight down, one from the rear to the front, and one from the front to the rear, the kit maker will have a very good look at how the kit is best done.

I have found that just one from straight down is never good enough. But if also taken from front and back, it will catch practically everything.

Ray, you have me totally confused now.

I'm trying to make up my mind which kit I want to get, and suddenly you have changed the prices on me. The FU-10 has gone from $256.00 down to $226.00, which is fine for the buyer. But you also changed the 6n9p+EL34B SE from I can't exactly remember, but it was less than $200.00 and raised it up to $240.00.

I was looking closely at that last one, but now it's considerably more all of a sudden. I don't understand this.

Hello John

the price of FU50 was a mistake, it should be $226. $256 is the price for newer 6N8P version. My colleague forget to set $226 as the basic price. We found the mistake. It's corrected now. You can also choose 6N8P option in the order page.

I also asked about the price of EL34, it seems that nobody changed it recently, when did you see a $200 kit on our website?

I'm totally confused..I have a few receivers and amplifiers made in the US which are all marked with 110V. We had sold hundreds of 110V amp to the USA and I know many of other maufacturers are also make 110V version. Customers told us they need 110V, nobody said it's wrong. Now you said it's 120V, whom should I believe?

You can make 220V tap for China and Russia.

Here in US we need 120V rated primary, not 110. I don't like when transformers saturate making extra hum and heat.

G'Day Ray, I was looking for a subwoofer amp module, but your site had no details at all for those. Perhaps if you listed some specifications, you might get some more interest. I ended up getting a module of ebay, so not in the market now, just trying to give you some positive feedback to improve your site.

Hello John

the price of FU50 was a mistake, it should be $226. $256 is the price for newer 6N8P version. My colleague forget to set $226 as the basic price. We found the mistake. It's corrected now. You can also choose 6N8P option in the order page.

I also asked about the price of EL34, it seems that nobody changed it recently, when did you see a $200 kit on our website?

Concerning the price, I honestly have forgotten the exact amount that was on the product page, but it was less than $200. It has been that price since I first found your site, the other day.

When I went on errands this afternoon(EST time) the old price was there, because I was comparing it with the FU-10, hoping it would load up. When I returned four hours later, I refreshed the page and suddenly I saw the difference in the price. It has been changed in that four hour period.

At Ali Express its $199 plus the cost of expedited shiping. Its also $199 at HiFi Joy. There are other places I'm sure, but I'm not going to keep searching.

I was just surprised at the sudden change. Thats why I mentioned that to you earlier.

Obviously this must be a very popular kit with other Chinese vendors, because it is showing up in a lot of places.

Last edited:
I measure 109VAC at home, 122VAC at work. Go figure...

I was kind of enamoured of a power factor correction EVM we built for TI
that put out a very steady 390VDC from just about any AC power source
or frequency. I think other plate voltage would have been an easy resistor
change. The toroid was also large enough to wind on some extra turns to
light a filament... It did require an isolation transformer, but would not
have been terribly picky about what windings were on it. And the rating
in VA would not be more than Watts (near perfect PFC) . The price from
TI's webstore is out of my reach for personal use. I was hoping Engineer
would slip me a sample or discount, but they did not have enough extra
built to let one go.

This one, I think... http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/sluu512/sluu512.pdf
Purpose of EVMs obviously to help engineers use chip in their own design.

OK, it also wants 13VDC bias to get the smarts going, but only milliamps...
This thing was dead quiet, and never got hot. the diode bridge in parallel
greatly helped assure it would start under almost any load condition.
Design optimized for tube amps based upon this example with annoyance
like 13VDC sorted out, you might do well to consider if it could be done...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.